dealers

pike&predator

hay all been reading through the kayak forum and it confirms what i have been thinking i need a kayak for my river fishing i dont want a boat too much hassle and some of the rivers i fish are too shallow for a boat

i have a belly boat but distance is limited and supplys

i am looking for a good kayak that can carry at least a weeks worth of supplys

i have been looking at a lot of sites and have found one i think will do the job its a sitin open cockpit with fore & aft storage 11ft long only problem is i cant find a uk supplier all the sites i have been looking at are overseas .coms ie usa

the kayak im looking at is the predator k111 it can be found on oldtowncanoe.com

if anyone knows of a uk dealer id love their url

also can you all recommend an ocean kayak for a begginer with a few good calm spots to try out i

ask as i understand from this forum that sitins are too dangerous for the shoreline

any advise you can all offer would be very helpfull

thanks all

good luck for the upcoming season.

HI, i have been using a P13 for cannel fishing and its working out OK for me, not to big, not to small. at 13 foot long it fills the bill, where are you based. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi P&P

I don't know of any UK supplier of the Predator kayak you mention

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/hunting...dator_k111.html

If you're planning on taking a weeks worth of supplys (food and water?) you will need something with greater storage capacity than the kayak you have listed. This will inevitably mean a longer more spacious kayak so there's room for all your gear. If there is access to freshwater somewhere along the route then you will be saving a lot of space and weight.

What is the current like on the rivers you are planning on fishing?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Pike Pred.

First thing to understand is that sit ins are VERY MUCH MORE SEAWORTHY AND CAPABLE THAN SOTs. Trans Atlantic crossings have been achieved in expedition sit inside kayaks - unattended (64 days at sea) - From Scotland to Norway gets done most years.

The reason sit on tops have become popular for fishing is not their greater sea capabilities, but purely because of their simplicity and the ability to move around in an open cockpit, rather than be hemmed into a sealed cockpit.

To give you more advice we need to know a bit more about your requirements - as Specimen has said, what size/speed rivers ae you thinking about traversing? How much gear are you taking? We are off for a few days in a week or so, around the coast of Scotland, to target skate and conger. The Prowler 13, Scupper Pro TW and Dorado are the kayaks that will be going (at the moment, unless anyone else jons in). All of these, and the Prowler 15, Tarpon 160i and others of similar spec are more than capable of going on a week long trip.

You need to work out how much your TOTAL gear will weigh, although you are less worried by slightly overloading your kayak if you are on a smooth river. Rapids will be a different proposition, and you will be better not loading to full capacity.

Come back with a bit more info, including the kind of distance you hope to cover and we'll happily point you in the right direction - but not make your mind up for you. Just give you somethng to ponder upon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

hi all thanks for the replys

as requested a little more info

im based in essex not to much around here other than the chelmer and the blackwater within 30 minutes travel time both are pretty low flow very few fastish sections only in spots where they shallow and narrow

not prolific rivers but both hold an amazing stock of pike chub and perch my 3 main species

ive had many years of fun and success on these two rivers

i know them both well trough wading and bellyboating but as i said with these 2 methods you are limited to distance depending on where you are on the rivers their is the option to make a few stops to resupply

the other 2 main rivers on my calender every season are the non tide thames at the likes of windsor upwards i would asume many of you have fished before if not u must make a visit some time

its low flow again deep can get fastish in places many stops along the way to resupply

also the river yare at brundall in norfolk i have only ever travel 5 miles or so either side of brundall

its deep medium flow rate on incoming outgoing tides few towns along it path so little option to resupply along the way untill you reach the next town

also the occational trip to the stour seven and trent i have only ever done a few stretches of these so would like to explore further

as for my tackle my main sport is lure fishing for all 3 species so my tackle would be around 60 or so lures devided between pike and ultralight 3 rods plus terminal stuff confind to a single box

i started fly fishing 2 seasons ago still a novice but i enjoy it so maybe a fly rod too for pike a box of flys and terminal tackle

as for supplys when i go out and pitch a tent for a week i carry 7 or 8 24 hour nato ration packs im sure some of you have seen these before they take up very little space the plus side of these is they contain water purification tabs so if worst comes to worst u use the water your sitting on but im quite good with water i can survive on 7 ltrs of drinking water a week as the food is all contained in sealed bags i use river water for cooking

i have sat in an 11ft kayak i think the space it provides inside plus what you can strap on is enough space

as for distance id hope to travel 20 to 30 miles in each direction so 50 to 60 miles in total over the week

for the shore fishing im not a sea fisherman i only go out during bass season so im looking for a kayak i can travel up and down the shoreline in i probably wouldnt go out further than say 200meters or so

if i had a kayak id look at going further out ie the camel in cornwall scotland and so on so if any of you have some ideas on good rivers and routes id love to read about them

look forawrd to reading your replys

cheers guys.

Pike fishing from a yak is a piece of cake. I troll lures on the thames between Staines and Richmond through the cut ins and boatyards, then anchor up if I get a take.

Haven't had one on the fly yet but only just got a scotty fly trod holder so next season I start.

I usually carry 3 rods on my P13, change of clothes ( more in winter than summer ), and a selection of lures and rigs for deadbaits should I decide to sit tight for a while.

Have not taken a tent but the P13 would easily cope with my 4 man 'hotel' plus acoutriments ok. It's in an 'ortlieb' waterproof bag and I would just strap it on the deck.

There are other yaks that would do just as well - but i suggest you visualise what you want to take then go paddle a few boats.

Good luck. :D

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Doesn't sound as though you would stress any of the kayaks.

One thing I would suggest though - when packing your gear, if there is room in the hold, put the heavy stuff down there - as far aft as you can without losing it to the confines of the darkest corner! I have put a car inner tube in there - it acts as a bit of buoyancy, but also it stops things sliding down the tunnel beyond where I can get them back without having to pick the kayak up and shake it!

The main criterion for you is going to be payload rather than capability. One thing I would warn you about though - once you have been kayaking you kep stretching your boundaries. If you get a kayak which only just meets your needs you will soon outgrow it and be looking for an upgrade.....maybe you should consider getting a kayak that will also meet your future requirements and ambitions. You mention Scotland and the Camel - the tide run past the ferry needs something a bit more capable than the inland boats! Otherwise you will soon be fishing off Daymer Bay followed by Stepper Point....there are sharks out there (just thought I would mention it in case anyone asks!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo