Goosander

Peter M

Budgie, an excellent post!

Just a small number of cormorants decimated my silver fish at Wingham, an understocked water by the way. Perversely, it's may have increased my chance of breaking the bream record as there's less competition from other species. On the other hand the condition of the pike deteriorated markedly, although Nature righted the balance within a couple of years.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

That is indeed a very interesting post!

L Leven is always screaming for a Cormorent cul, and there are certainly a lot there (although not as many as I've seen in pictures from midland reservoirs). The thing is that there ued to be about 300 that roosted under the Tay rail bridge every night. Now there are none. They've all upped sticks and moved to Trout Lochs because they're such an attractive source of food.

There are also demands for a seal cul in the Tay estuary, and there certainly are a lot of seals. However, despite the seals, this year has been the best spring salmon run for decades - some beats have been having catches of well over a dozen fish in a day (I've heard of two anglers taking 23) , it's literally 20 - 30 years since those sorts of catches have been reported. There is also good snow accumulations in the highlands, which will keep river levels up through the spring and early summer so hopefully a good season.

This is probably due to the fact that the Danes havs stooped commercial salmon netting on the waters around Greenland. If salmon are allowed to thrive on their feeding grounds, then nature will provide plenty off fish to keep anglers and seals happy.

At present, the only large scale comercial netting is off the west coast of Ireland. These fish are heading for the big French and Spanish rivers which, by all accounts still have very few fish. The Danes are actually **** of with the Irish for not stopping this. They clamped down on netting off Greenland to allow salmon to re-populate European rivers, not to benefit the Irish fishing Industry.

That is indeed a very interesting post!

L Leven is always screaming for a Cormorent cul, and there are certainly a lot there (although not as many as I've seen in pictures from midland reservoirs). The thing is that there ued to be about 300 that roosted under the Tay rail bridge every night. Now there are none. They've all upped sticks and moved to Trout Lochs because they're such an attractive source of food.

There are also demands for a seal cul in the Tay estuary, and there certainly are a lot of seals. However, despite the seals, this year has been the best spring salmon run for decades - some beats have been having catches of well over a dozen fish in a day (I've heard of two anglers taking 23) , it's literally 20 - 30 years since those sorts of catches have been reported. There is also good snow accumulations in the highlands, which will keep river levels up through the spring and early summer so hopefully a good season.

This is probably due to the fact that the Danes havs stooped commercial salmon netting on the waters around Greenland. If salmon are allowed to thrive on their feeding grounds, then nature will provide plenty off fish to keep anglers and seals happy.

At present, the only large scale comercial netting is off the west coast of Ireland. These fish are heading for the big French and Spanish rivers which, by all accounts still have very few fish. The Danes are actually **** of with the Irish for not stopping this. They clamped down on netting off Greenland to allow salmon to re-populate European rivers, not to benefit the Irish fishing Industry.

I have a coarse and trout fishery in Galloway and I have had a male and two female Goosanders on the loch for some time. They do eat fish and regularly dive for their prey. They are not uncommon on inland waterways in certain areas and they generally nest in trees. They are also quite shy and difficult to get close to.

I have a coarse and trout fishery in Galloway and I have had a male and two female Goosanders on the loch for some time. They do eat fish and regularly dive for their prey. They are not uncommon on inland waterways in certain areas and they generally nest in trees. They are also quite shy and difficult to get close to.

Hi galloway, Im also from your region and we do have more Goosanders on our inland waters than we do Cormorants. i still dont think there is enough to cause any real problems at the moment, but who knows what might happen in the future. What water do you run if you dont mind me asking?

Edited by Mc Fudge

Hi galloway, Im also from your region and we do have more Goosanders on our inland waters than we do Cormorants. i still dont think there is enough to cause any real problems at the moment, but who knows what might happen in the future. What water do you run if you dont mind me asking?

Hi McFudge, Good to hear from you. I have a small loch on my land near Springholm. Stocked with brown trout at the moment and a few Grass Carp and Mirrors. Just added 50 Common Carp, 50 Crucian Carp and about 20 Roach and Tench. I intend to run it as a coarse fishery from next year.

I've only rarely seen Cormorant on my nearest river, the Aire. Goosander on the other hand are a very common sight and the fishing is in marked decline year on year. I don't suppose for one minute that they're the only or even the major factor in this, but they're not helping for sure.

Paul

Hi McFudge, Good to hear from you. I have a small loch on my land near Springholm. Stocked with brown trout at the moment and a few Grass Carp and Mirrors. Just added 50 Common Carp, 50 Crucian Carp and about 20 Roach and Tench. I intend to run it as a coarse fishery from next year.

Ah Springholm, I set off from Redcar at about 3am and get to Springholm for about 6am just in time to get our freshly grilled bacon butties from the newsagents shop on the High St, you'll know the one.

You just can't beat their bacon butties after a 3 hr drive and they set you up for the morning.

I could be wrong but has your fishery been in one of the angling papers for a fishing review.

Whereabouts are you in relation to the newsagents.

You never know, there might be enough interest in a fish in at your place from members on here.

As it's a loch you have on your land I'm presuming it's an old water with a naturalised stock so I'm curious if theres any pike and perch in there as well as those mentioned

Ah Springholm, I set off from Redcar at about 3am and get to Springholm for about 6am just in time to get our freshly grilled bacon butties from the newsagents shop on the High St, you'll know the one.

You just can't beat their bacon butties after a 3 hr drive and they set you up for the morning.

I could be wrong but has your fishery been in one of the angling papers for a fishing review.

Whereabouts are you in relation to the newsagents.

You never know, there might be enough interest in a fish in at your place from members on here.

As it's a loch you have on your land I'm presuming it's an old water with a naturalised stock so I'm curious if theres any pike and perch in there as well as those mentioned

The loch was originally a flight pond and I had it enlarged about two years ago. There were some wild Brown Trout in and some Rainbows but only a few. I stocked it with 150 brownies between threequarter pound and one and a quarter. There are now some decent sized fish in it. I have stockrd with a limited number of small coarse fish up to now as I believe it is the best policy for fish achieving decent weights eventually. I intend to continue with this process over the next few years. The fishery has never featured in any articles and it is located just outside Springholm on the A75 heading for Cstle Douglas. I have a guest house and holiday cottage (the Green House). There are no Pike or Perch that I know of!!

Edited by galloway

Personally i cant see how a pair of Goosanders can do any real damage to fish stocks?

Not like there is 10+ plus birds gorgin on stocks like Cormorants do plus Goosanders are native inland birds UNLIKE Cormarants

Pygocentrus Piraya