spud mckay

just bought these of ebay

2. 2 rods which are 12 foot 2.5lb test curve,

3. 2 free runner reels,

4. rig wallet,

5. plastic bits box.

6. 2 bite alarms

7. 2 drop back indicators

Although the pod is set up for 2 rods it can take a third rod in the middle but all items would have to be bought seperately.

im just wondering if anyone can help me,i dont know what pound line to put on the 2 baitrunner reels,

this year im gonna be fishing ponds,lakes,canals i havent fished before so i wont know what size the carp go up to,

any help me out please,so i can buy some line for them

thanks

Spud,

If you're planning on fishing for carp with your new gear, I would suggest a good standard 12lb Mono would cope with most situations. I use Daiwa Sensor and it's always been good for me.

Good luck with the new waters.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Your rod is designed and sold specifically for carp fishing usually have a 'test curve' rating along with the manufacture's logo immediately above the handle. This provides a guide to the rod's power and therefore suggested line strenghs to go with it so that both rod and line stretch in harmony like one enormous elastic band.

To find out the suggested line strenght for a particular rod you simply multiply its test curve rating by 5. For instance - a test curve of 2.5 lbs will result in a ideal line strength of around 12.5 lbs. It is simple as that. To find the lower limit of lines that can be used with the rod, multiply by 4 (10 lbs Test) and by 6 for the upper limit which will be 15 lbs.

So the ideal line I would go for 12.5 lbs Breaking strain

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Hi Spud,

What you have there is some tackle for catching large carp. My advice (if you want it) would be to learn the basics of fishing first before moving on to big carp. Once you have done that, you could consider that the tackle you have bought is a bit too powerful for canals and commercial fisheries and you need to get some sessions in on big carp waters. Sites like RMC and Carp Society are worth a look if you want serious carp fishing.

A knowledgeable fishing mate would be very helpful and so would fishing books,you could try the local library. Of course AN members are always willing to help also :)

Sorry Spud, I misunderstood, I didn't realise you had been carp fishing before.

Anyway..... I would check the postage costs of that ebay line. THIS SITE have a specila offer on Diawa Sensor line and are doing the same spool for £5.99 plus £2.49 postage (it appears).

Also, you mentioned that the kit you have bought includes two drop back indicators, these are traditionally used for pike fishing I believe. Apologies if you are aware of this already.

Good luck with your new kit mate.

Daiwa Sensor is available from most tackle shops for the standard price of £6.99 per spool, sometimes cheaper.

£6.99 is the STANDARD price, do not pay more or you will be getting ripped off.

Ebay is a good tool for buying SOME fishing tackle but check out the prices carefully. Many Buy it now items are offered for ABOVE the normal selling price, then you have the normally inflated postage costs to think about.