Little knocks when feeder fishing

The Flying Tench

We've all experienced it, specially with maggot feeder. Little knocks or trembles on the quiver tip which may or may not lead to a bite.

But there are two possible causes: fish attacking the feeder, or playing with the bait. It can make a difference how we respond. For example, if they are attacking the feeder but not the bait there might be a case for shortening the hook link.

Has anyone any ways of telling which it is?

john clarke

My most common rig is a fairly heavy cage feeder and a shortish (20cm or so) hook link set up in a simple running ledger type rig.

My only adaptation is that I put a rubber stop bead on the line about 30cm from the feeder. If I start to get taps and bumps, it's usually fish bumping the feeder but if I'm getting frustrated, I just slide the bead down right behind the feeder to form an instant (and safe) bolt rig.

It works but as it's not exactly uncommon to have a little skimmer hang it's self but not move the feeder, it needs checking very regularly.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

if your having problems with it, try a cast or two with no hook on. You maybe surprised how many bites you still get.

I often start a feeder session with no hooklength and a biggish feeder on just to get some bait out. It can be amazing what bites you get. Even rod wrenchers not just little taps when there are biggish fish about.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep