3 Weight advice please.

squibs

Chaps, I'm after some advice on a 3wt rod set up please.

I've just returned from the States with a very handy 8' 6" 4pc Temple Fork Outfitters rod. I normally use a 5/6 wt rod with a tapered leader and I'd like to continue with the some sort of set up. Now the 6wt line is twice as thick as the 3wt line and this for me has presented problems with attaching the leader to the line. I don't wish to use to use a braided loop as the set up will be mainly used for drys and I'd like to keep the set up as clean and direct as possible. The lake that I'm fishing holds trout to about the 2.5lb mark, so I have to strike the balance on the size of tippet as well.

I've kind of lost my way with my train of thought on this one, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Tight lines.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

If you're looking for an alternative to braided loops, try a Grays loop - a bit fiddly if you're as ham-fisted as me, but well worth the trouble. You can still use tapered leaders with a 3 wt, so other than that, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for, I'm afraid!

Simply nail or needle knot on a short length of heavy nylon mono tie a small loop in same and attach your tapered leader as a loop to loop connection thats what I did with my 3 weight set up and it works beautifully

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks guys. I was looking at the needle knot way of attaching the tapered leader, but as I see the wisdom in your replies of going for the loop attachment.

Once again thank you for your help.

Tight lines.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?