Strange Captures

Gillies

Always remember a friend of mine telling me about years ago when a huge mackerel shoal hit Howth pier in Dublin. Two Italian tourists were walking the pier amused by the locals frantically chucking feathers and spinners into the sea for fish. They were even more shocked when two mackerel leaped onto the pier right in front of their feet. They both pounced and had a mackerel each for their troubles that day.

Last year whilst walking the dog I was surprised when he approached me with a plump fish in his jaws. It was the start of an interesting topic here on the forums as I tried to identify the strange creature. Turned out to be a male lumpsucker. Never saw one before or since but good ol' AN forums provided the answer! Some smart blokes here you know Gillies :D

Neil.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure are a lot of smart people here ... am finding it a great place, and am really enjoying hearing and learing about sea fishing everywhere else!!! I have quite often come across the skins of Lumpsuckers on the shore after they have been half eaten by gulls. I have never caught one though ... infact the only one I heard of been caught up here on the Isle of Lewis turned out to be a 10 and a half pound one in 97, which turned out to be the British Record I think ... not sure.

Posted Image

Not sure if the above, was a male or a female ... :D

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi all

another newbie here.

The most unexpected thing i've caught was a red gurnard on mackeral feathers - wait for it - half way up in about 150ft - bizarre.

I've been visiting the site for a while and thought i'd do the honourable thing and register...

Tight lines y'all...

Jim

A few years ago i was fishing the Taw estuary for Flounders with a three hook trace. Back in those day it was quite common to pull them in three at a time. anyway this night the rod tip gave a little rattle, "one" i said, 2 or 3 minutes later it went again "two" i said, 2 minutes later it went again " three" i said and started to wind in. It did'nt feel very heavy the reason was, one greedy Flounder with all three hooks in his gob (must have been hungry).

Earlier this year I was fishing from the pier at the harbourmouth one night and two young lads were next to me. After a while the pilot boat went out to bring in a cargo boat and caught the line on one of the rods and the young lad watched as the rod that he had borrowed from his Dad went over the railings. Four days later I was fishing the same spot and another young lad shouted for some help as he had caught a rod we pulled it up and sure enough it was the missing rod. I have been looking for the owner ever since.

I caught a John Dory of about a pound with a prawn squid rig released it and found that it was a club record, I don't know if it would have counted though. :mad: :mad: :mad: