Salmon spinning tactics

CYNSWIM

Or keep a pair of nickers in your tackle bag to rub your spinners on. :)

I have heard os that one being done too..'warm from her body' ha ha ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if that doesn't work, you could always "cheat" and bounce a worm through the lie. Just don't let anyone see you doing it! I get enough dirty looks from the posh fluff chuckers, just for spinning. I'd probably be hung if they spotted me with a worm :D

Thats an interesting comment, is that really the case? locally I see no such discrimination. Spinning still appears to be the first choice method, and right now is in full swing with the rivers swollen and the fish running. Already today I have been out and about and have seen 2 vehicles with rods set up on those outside holders. On one were all spinning rods and the other has 2 spinning sets up and one fly. Those who confine themselves to 'fly only' are stateing that they dont mind bashing on using a method not especially suited for catching fish in all conditions. I wrote in a thread recently about the fast changing conditions on spate rivers. Some of the rods on private beats have been booked a year in advance with no way of knowing what conditions will be like at the time of fishing. If one has paid 4 figures for a week and then turn up to find the river in flood, running the colour of tea with trees and dead sheep floating down it then they tend to do what we natives do, put a bunch of lobworms on and work the dubs. those who pour scorn upon lure and worm fishing would be well advised to get off thier high horses and read up on the history of Salmon fishing.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Thats an interesting comment, is that really the case?

On the local rivers that I have salmon fishing on, yes. These are traditional highland rivers which cater for traditional highland fishermen - ie well to do, non locals. The vast majority of which will stand there all week, in their plus fours and tweeds, lashing the water to death with flies and catching nothing. Only to scoff and moan at my techniques, which catch fish. It's mostly in jest and probably partly down to jealousy but there's still an elitist element of Salmon fly anglers who can't stand plebs and their spinning rods :rolleyes:

On the local rivers that I have salmon fishing on, yes. These are traditional highland rivers which cater for traditional highland fishermen - ie well to do, non locals. The vast majority of which will stand there all week, in their plus fours and tweeds, lashing the water to death with flies and catching nothing. Only to scoff and moan at my techniques, which catch fish. It's mostly in jest and probably partly down to jealousy but there's still an elitist element of Salmon fly anglers who can't stand plebs and their spinning rods :rolleyes:

The term 'traditional' is one of the most misused ones in our language. It very often takes little socio-historical digging to unearth that what is often percieved as what we have come to understand as 'tradition' is really nothing of the sort.

The term 'traditional' is one of the most misused ones in our language. It very often takes little socio-historical digging to unearth that what is often percieved as what we have come to understand as 'tradition' is really nothing of the sort.

The miserable sods won't let me use my spear either. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The term 'traditional' is one of the most misused ones in our language. It very often takes little socio-historical digging to unearth that what is often perceived as what we have come to understand as 'tradition' is really nothing of the sort.

You're absolutely right. The majority of highland rivers are either owned or partially owned, by an elite few and have been for the past 200+yrs. They decided what "tradition" is.

The miserable sods won't let me use my spear either. :)

Than they are indeed miserable buggers, and out of touch with the notion of 'tradition'

'it is also likely that a considerable amount of fishing with spears and other implements was conducted in the depths of the glens, especially as spawning time drew near. Spearing was actually a legal form of fishing in the first half of the nineteenth century. '

(http://www.tdsfb.org/Historyofsalmonfishing.htm)

The practice know as 'burning the water' involved using wide stable boats crewed by at least 3, one to steer, one to trim the burning light used to see into the river in the dark and to finish off the fish passed back by the 'spearman'.

Edited by Emma two

Thats an interesting comment, is that really the case? locally I see no such discrimination. Spinning still appears to be the first choice method, and right now is in full swing with the rivers swollen and the fish running. Already today I have been out and about and have seen 2 vehicles with rods set up on those outside holders. On one were all spinning rods and the other has 2 spinning sets up and one fly. Those who confine themselves to 'fly only' are stateing that they dont mind bashing on using a method not especially suited for catching fish in all conditions. I wrote in a thread recently about the fast changing conditions on spate rivers. Some of the rods on private beats have been booked a year in advance with no way of knowing what conditions will be like at the time of fishing. If one has paid 4 figures for a week and then turn up to find the river in flood, running the colour of tea with trees and dead sheep floating down it then they tend to do what we natives do, put a bunch of lobworms on and work the dubs. those who pour scorn upon lure and worm fishing would be well advised to get off thier high horses and read up on the history of Salmon fishing.

My two bits worth. I was brought up on the bonny bonny banks of the River Leven (the one that flows from Loch Lomond to the Clyde at Dumbarton) Devon Minnows, ABU Toby's and big bunches of worms were 'de rigeur' for Salmon, especially early in the season when there might be a LOT of water in the river. When I say a lot of water imagine this

P9170004.jpg

up to the level of the towpath that you can see on the left, flowing at more than 10mph. I LIKE fishing rivers and burns in spate or just as the level is falling. Worms, live minnows and baby mice (these days you can buy them frozen in pet shops, no need to breed your own white mice in the shed) are all dynamite for big brownies, salmon and seatrout then.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't suppose you have a good putty recipe?..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...