Braided Fishing Line and Float Fishing?

HOPPY4

Hello All, I am a Power Pro user and Stand by IT! I do have one problem with it when Float Fishing! I was out this past week and found that the use of it hindered my presentation for Trout. I was along side others that used the same bait and the presentation was also the same. To my dismay, I could not buy a bite! The other fisherman stated that they felt that my Braided Line was the issue. Have any of you been faced with this issue and found that the bites were fewer when using floats with braided line? I had previously found that the floating line would be pushed by wind and moving water when at short distances. It was not an issue with bites at that time , I thought. Now that I have thought it over, I am seriously looking at making a change for at least one rod that will be used for these situations. What are your thoughts?

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I'm not quite clear what sort of fishing this was. Was it bubble float and fly, or coarse float and maggots. Most line (I think?) used for float fishing is floating line. I must say, despite it's thin diameter, I've always assumed braid is more visible up in the water, and the few people I know who use braid for float fishing (with good success) I think use mono traces.

I.m no expert on this, so this is really to add to your questions as much as to give answers.

john clarke

Hoppy, were you using braid right through to the hook?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The Braid was the main line and I used a mono leader of 45 inches. The fish were not having any of it!!! I listend to each of these guys and it just got OLD. I was frustrated and wondered if they actually had a point. The floats used were either a slinder corse version with a weighted bottom or a clear spirele (sp?) type. I was was just SOL as they say and nothing made a difference. I will try both on Saturday and will post the results. Thank for the replies and Good Fishing to you ALL.

HOPPY4

Edited by HOPPY4

HOPPY

I still don't quite understand what kind of fishing you were doing, Hoppy. 'Leader' is normally a fly fishing term, but am I right that you were suspending a bait below a float in normal coarse fishing style on a still water? If so I've got to say I'm puzzled that the type of line should make a big difference. Presumably you were mending the line if the float started to drag?

john clarke

Tench, Although the terms are different in respect to region the meaning is suspended line under the float. Leader or Hooklength are the same for some and I am one to call it so. At any rate, the fish refused to bite my offer and I used the same bait as those around me. It just didn't make sense. Thanks for the feedback as it may get others thinking as well.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Really puzzling, cos I thought trout were silly fish and easy to catch on float tackle in the few places you're allowed to use it to fish for them that way. Is it normally a fly fishery? Could it be, therefore, that they've learned to look out for line on the surface, and braid being opaque is visible? The only other thought is whether you were doing anything else different from the other anglers. I assume the mono trace was not more than, say, 4lb bs? You've probably thought of these ideas already. A real puzzle.

john clarke