Tope/smoothound anglers

Ian Burrett

Ian,

For what it is worth, I too thought along the lines of your wife with SOS. But I also had SAS "Save All Sharks". Some form of name that gets "hits" from web searches like SOS or SAS that aren't necessarily shark based but it will get picked up by them.

For example someone hoping to find out about the SAS (those wonderful army bods) will also get the Save All Sharks (Say!) site thrown at them. In a sense you'd be building in some free advertising. :)

It seems that you have a number of suggestions for a name. Why don't you put up a few for a vote.

"An amatuer built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Best Regards

Cerberus

http://www.walton-sea-angling.co.uk

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, just "defected" from the IAC list to join the ranks of supporters to this idea. You can count me in :)

Cheers,

Alan

p.s. by way of introduction, I'm based in central Scotland and fish all over but prefer the sea lochs on the west. I've been shore fishing for years, but never got all that good at it. Now I've got myself a wee boat and I'm looking forward to catching something a bit bigger :)

Hi there Alan and Richard, nice to see some support from the IAC, but I knew there would be :)

I think it is good to make it open to non-anglers as well as anglers. It makes us look more conservation orientated and less like big game hunters. Also, if we are mingling with conservationists, marine biologists and 'tree-huggers' it helps our image in the face of extreme anti's.

One point on the names.... anything ending in Angler's Recreational Club makes it seem like a place for anglers to have a few beers, swap stories of shark catches & shoot a few rounds of pool.....hmmmmm not a bad idea, where shall we meet :)

Ian Burrett:

Hi Matey

Just spoke to Ken (Dr Ken Collins) from the UK shark tagging programme. He is happy to endorse it and hopefully will post on AN today, He has offered to approach the WWF for their approval.

By coincidence he also suggested SOS

"Save our sharks" What do you think?

I like it but I think it might be worth googling "Save Our Sharks" also.

Ken & WWF's endorsements will be great. Ali from the SharkTrust will be away until mid Sept but I'm sure their postion will be the same :)

Guest NickInTheNorth

If we really want to be taken seriously as conservationists, and not just seen as a bunch of "big game anglers" would it be worth trying to get a tagging programme set up for those species not already subject to such a programme?

I guess that would require input from some of our academic brethren, but could give us some interesting insights into the different species habits and lifestyles.

quote:

Originally posted by SandTiger:

I like it but I think it might be worth googling "Save Our Sharks" also.) [/QB]

Hi Davey

Interestingly the "Save our sharks" google search

threw up an old SACN bike ride day from 2001 and the following from a Scottish MEP. See

http://www.elspethattwoollmep.org.uk/news/104.html

Could you compose a letter asking for her support. At the end of the day polititians will decide the future of our seas. Perhaps ask her for like minded MP's

As previous suggested the name SOS will give us the right public image, and could attract a far greater and wider membership than just anglers.

I am proposing we use the SOS "Save our sharks". If anyone has any different ideas then please post them soon, so we can get on with other issues.

[ 01. September 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Ian Burrett ]

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest NickInTheNorth

And a quick search for domain availabilty shows the following:

Domain Name Availability

saveoursharks.co.uk Available

saveoursharks.org.uk Available

saveoursharks.me.uk Available

saveoursharks.com Taken

saveoursharks.org Taken