A mixed luck night!

RUDD

Did my first overnighter of the year last Saturday.

It was a very mixed fortune night!

I did not leave home until the thunderstorms complete with big hailstones had finished.

Arrived at the water at 7pm and the air felt very close.

I felt this weather would trigger a feeding spell.

I knew the wind was swinging round to come from the North overnight and all of the rain and hail would send cooler water down the valley which in turn MAY push the fish into deeper water.

With this in mind I selected the bottom pool in the valley and the furthest peg down the valley on the pool.

This peg is perfect and covers alot of water including the deepest part of the pool along the dam and a very nice margin straight out in front as the peg is in a corner. Halfway along the shallow margin there is also a lilly bed. I felt the water here would remain warm and the cooler water may push fish into this corner from allover the pool.

By the time I had set up all my kit and had a wander around all three pools I did not get a bait into the water until 9pm.

One rod was put along the margin a meter short of the lillies (to give me time during the night to react to a run before the fish makes it to the lillies) and the other at the top of a shelf along the same margin to the right of the lillies where the deepest part of the pool slopes upwards.

By 10 pm I had cut open a finger very badly with some braid scissors whilst making up some pva bags.

Luckily I carry a first aid kit and sorted it out.

By 10.10 I had a 6lb bream and a 5.5lb tench both off the over the slope rod.

By 10.30pm I had a 12lb 14oz common on the bank to the lilly rod.

Cant remember times but by midnight I had three ghosties @ 7.6, 10.14 and 10.5 all on the lilly rod.

Between midnight and 0100hrs I missed a run on each rod and by 0200hrs had lost a fish on each rod.

I also stuck a stringer needle through my right hand thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was now knackered and had also had a bout of being sick at some point so I only left the lilly rod out for the rest of the night.

I dont even know if I slept but at 0300 it was bloody cold as a mist desended from above, realfeal temp was only 3 degress!!!!!!!!!!!

At 5 in the morning I sorted out both rods with new baits and bags and started to pack away some gear.

At 7.30 I had a run on the shelf rod which resulted in an 11.8 ghostie.

I was at home having breakfast with my wife and girls at 0830.

Cant wait for my next all night session if it is as action packed as the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Well done Rudd sounds like you read the conditions just right! If only you were as good at working out where your fingers are when sharp things are about!

Rich

p.s. any pics (not of you severed fingers)?

Sounds a decent session Rudd, well done. Hope the fingers have healed nicely.

Well done Rudd. Reminded me of the time I fished all night with a hook buried in my thumb.

Had to have it cut out following morning. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, IT WAS THE ONLY THING i HOOKED

ALL NIGHT. lol.

Cheers

Bill

Cant wait for my next all night session if it is as action packed as the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you considered raising your insurance premiums? :lol:

A very productive session rudd, very well done. It looks like you read the water extremely well, hence the good results.

A good point with regard to carrying a first aid kit when on overnight sessions. With the way things went for you that night it's a good job you had one.