Bloodworm

Sportsman

When all else fails and no one is catching in a match you can virtually garantee catching on Bloodworm, using Joker as feed either in some Leam or lose fed it's a deadly combination.

Yup I remember Mystic very well, another wierd artificial bait that for some reason catches when all else fails, smelling like the old Airfix glue and looking like a Bloodworm on steroids.

It came in yellow, red, white, green and black and was probably at it's best when the tube had got some air into it as the older stuff was always easier to put on the hook .

It was like trying to get a bogey to stick to the hook instead of your fingers lol

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was really wondering about is do you think the trout fly type bloodworm would work fished under a float?

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What I was really wondering about is do you think the trout fly type bloodworm would work fished under a float?

I don't think so to be honest, the hook would be too heavy so the presentation would be all wrong, maybe try some Mystic or even better buy some bloodworm to give it a go.

I don't think so to be honest, the hook would be too heavy so the presentation would be all wrong, maybe try some Mystic or even better buy some bloodworm to give it a go.

Thank you for that. It can be tied on any weight or size of hook so maybe that problem could be overcome.

The problem is that it would have no scent so would only appeal to sight feeders. It works really well on trout for instance.

I can't really try it up here due to a severe lack of coarse fish to try it on :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks for the link but how big/little are they,where can one find them/get them?

You can buy them from some tackle shops. Alternatively, you collect them using a thin metal blade on the end of a pole. You wade into a suitable muddy pond and sweep the blade through the silt to collect the worms. It's hard work and potentially dangerous if you are not very careful.

They are very expensive and also the quality can vary a lot, when I used to buy them you could pay anything from £5 a pint upwards and thats just for hook bait, Joker is expensive too and used mostly as feed, the Bloodworm is normally kept in a very small ammount or peat and wrapped up in damp newspaper, Joker is kept just as is in damp paper.

You can try to collect them yourself but you can't garantee every pond or lake has them within easily access of the angler although every still water does have them they could be burried deep in the middle of the lake.

You will need a sort of landing net handle or broom with a thin steel or ally blade about the size of a ruler but the angle of the blade is most important, it has to be able to slice through the silt catching the worms on it's edge.

In my experience trying to save money in the past I too used to try to collect bloodworm for matches thinking how rich I could get but in reality I never managed to collect enough for five minutes fishing, it's not as easy as it might sound and normally envolves wading out in chest waders risking your life...

They are very expensive and also the quality can vary a lot, when I used to buy them you could pay anything from £5 a pint upwards and thats just for hook bait, Joker is expensive too and used mostly as feed, the Bloodworm is normally kept in a very small ammount or peat and wrapped up in damp newspaper, Joker is kept just as is in damp paper.

You can try to collect them yourself but you can't garantee every pond or lake has them within easily access of the angler although every still water does have them they could be burried deep in the middle of the lake.

You will need a sort of landing net handle or broom with a thin steel or ally blade about the size of a ruler but the angle of the blade is most important, it has to be able to slice through the silt catching the worms on it's edge.

In my experience trying to save money in the past I too used to try to collect bloodworm for matches thinking how rich I could get but in reality I never managed to collect enough for five minutes fishing, it's not as easy as it might sound and normally envolves wading out in chest waders risking your life...

It would be useless to fish a single artifical bloodworm anyway. The whole concept of bloodworm fishing is using bloodworm or joker in your initial groundbait feed and fishing bloodworm over the top. Even single live bloodworm are rarely effective without the feed.