REFUNDS

nogbert

The other day i bought something from a high street store, on purchasing the item i was told that the product was excluded from there 16 day money back guarantee but does not affect my statutory rights, but now i realise its not the item i wanted so am i stuck with it or will i be eligible for a credit note to buy something else from the store. :(

You are STUCK with it!! BUT if the item was BROKEN?? OR Faulty??? Up to 7 days they HAVE to refund!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

another strange thing i learnt on the money program is that the shop can charge you MORE than the item is priced at.

i had always thought this illegal but the legal eagle explained that a purchase is a contract ,they can charge you more and its up to you to either except it or put it back ,if you demand its sold at the ticket price the shop is within its rights to decline from selling it to you.

some shops will give you money back if you merely didnt like the article (argos etc) but unless its faulty and not "fit" for its use most will refuse to except it back.items bought in a sale have exactly the same rights non sale items have unless its noted somewhere that the item has a fault hence its reduced price.

not sure about credit notes but if the item was faulty i would refuse to except it and demand a cash refund (credit notes force you to purchase something else which could be a monopoly)

i expect difficulty arrises using credit or debit cards ,i presume you cant demand cash but will have to take their word they credited your card with the amoungnt (untill you check your statement )

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

another strange thing i learnt on the money program is that the shop can charge you MORE than the item is priced at.

i had always thought this illegal but the legal eagle explained that a purchase is a contract ,they can charge you more and its up to you to either except it or put it back ,if you demand its sold at the ticket price the shop is within its rights to decline from selling it to you.

some shops will give you money back if you merely didnt like the article (argos etc) but unless its faulty and not "fit" for its use most will refuse to except it back.items bought in a sale have exactly the same rights non sale items have unless its noted somewhere that the item has a fault hence its reduced price.

not sure about credit notes but if the item was faulty i would refuse to except it and demand a cash refund (credit notes force you to purchase something else which could be a monopoly)

i expect difficulty arrises using credit or debit cards ,i presume you cant demand cash but will have to take their word they credited your card with the amoungnt (untill you check your statement )

So if i take it back and say one of the buttons is sticking and they say they will replace it could i then say that i have no faith in that product and that i will pay the extra for a different model. (ar--s is the shop)

So if i take it back and say one of the buttons is sticking and they say they will replace it could i then say that i have no faith in that product and that i will pay the extra for a different model. (ar--s is the shop)

perhaps a suptle bit of seam unthreading may work but they may just replace like with like ,if yours is the last item you probably could get action to more your liking

if its argos you usually have 16 days for a non quibble refund following their criteria for it (page 1642)

verbal "warnings" mean nothing if unproved, in your case the seller may have forgotten to inform you ;)

but remember lots of articles are not refundable and its mentioned in the advert in writing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

perhaps a suptle bit of seam unthreading may work but they may just replace like with like ,if yours is the last item you probably could get action to more your liking

if its argos you usually have 16 days for a non quibble refund following their criteria for it (page 1642)

verbal "warnings" mean nothing if unproved, in your case the seller may have forgotten to inform you ;)

but remember lots of articles are not refundable and its mentioned in the advert in writing

Its an mp3 player

look in the book

you have a PM

Edited by chesters1

That's because it is an OFFER to sell! They don't have to sell you anything according to the law! And you DO NOT have to accept a credit note under law. BUT if you are on dodgy ground you may wish to consider it! But quite right about sale goods. In fact if they have a sign saying different THAT is also against the law!! :sun:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

you can haggle in some cases ,i was reproofing a tent ,the price of the waterproofer was £4 more in our local camping shop than milletts (which was a surprise as milletts isnt cheap) anyway i "asked" how much the stuff was (pretending i hadent seen the price onn the shelf) the chap said £19.99 so i went to put it back saying i could get it cheaper elsewhere ,he was "happy" to provide it at milletts price ,he could have said as some do "well bugger off and get it there then".

he obviasly knew he was vastly overcharging (its spring and camping is in the minds of the gullible) but content to let the knowlegeable win in this situation for future custom (i did buy another 2 cans at the same price later in the week but didnt know then) those damn cotton tents drink the stuff. :o

Mr Matthew

While I am not a lawyer . .

The supplier has the option to repair or replace with the gurantee period, normally 12 months. If they have two attempts to repair without success I suggest you return the item to the supplier and advise them that as the item is not fit for purpose you require a replacement like for like ( they have that option ) or refund, though the refund can sometimes be in the form of a credit note or vouchers.

If they get stroppy you can always advise you are going to speak to the local trading standards.

At no time let them keep the original purchase receipt.

Good luck

Andrew Boyd