FF problems

vidcon

I got a garmin ff 90 recently without realising that I would have to drill a 28mm hole in the kayak to allow the plug through. So now I can't figure out where to drill this monster hole. I have a cable glad for it but the only neat and tidy place it fits is on the tackle box tray or inside the forward cup holder of the p13. Any suggestions how to tackle this problem?

Getting a different ff with a smaller plug is something I'm considering at the moment.

Hi Vidcon,

I have the Garmin 80 which is basically the same finder just the older model, and I also didn't fancy drilling such a big hole for the cable. :(

The more I thought about it I realised that it would suit me not to have the unit fixed permanently so the display is mounted on a base made to fit the forward cup holder on the P13 and the cables are then just run forward and under the front hatch cover and neoprene.

The cover still retains a tight seal and everything can be removed at the end of the day and kept seperate from the yak.

I have got a soap dish with a lid like you'd have for your wash bag and cut a hole in the bottom slightly larger than the transducer and stuck this in the hull with silicon. This is filled with water and the transducer is placed inside and the lid placed on top with a small slit in the edge for the cable to come through and more water can then be added via a syringe to top it up if need be but not usually neccessary. So far it has worked ok and all that's left in the kayak is the fixed soap dish base so if the kids or me want to go surfing/playing about there's nothing rattling about in the hull.

Hope you can get my drift :)

nifty.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=60537

Hi Vidcon,

I installed a Garmin 140 in my P13 this winter.Have a look and I hope it can be of some help,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Vidcon,

Don't be afraid to drill a hole that size, just make sure that you sure of the final position first.

I fitted a Garmin 140 ,an easy and quick way to seal the hole is to buy a rubber door stop, drill a hole just smaller the size of the cable and a saw cut half way through to offer the cable in , and push into the hole in the kayak . Like a cork in a bottle, tidy and no mess

100% waterproof and easy to remove, also cheep.

Chuggs

Thanks guys, feeling a bit more confident about drilling now.

Thanks nifty, good idea to be able to swap ff in and out with ease.

Rubber door stop, why didn't I think of that. Spent two weeks trying to find a solid rubber plug.

Jon: I'm copying your finder mounting idea if that's ok with you... where do I post the royality cheque to?

So now I think it will be a rubber door stop on the side wall with the finder mounted in the forward cup holder.

Thanks guys, feeling a bit more confident about drilling now.

Thanks nifty, good idea to be able to swap ff in and out with ease.

Rubber door stop, why didn't I think of that. Spent two weeks trying to find a solid rubber plug.

Jon: I'm copying your finder mounting idea if that's ok with you... where do I post the royality cheque to?

So now I think it will be a rubber door stop on the side wall with the finder mounted in the forward cup holder.

would one of them homemade wine demijon thingy rubber bungs do?? They already hav a small hole in the middle?? Just thinking out loud....hic... :drunk:

In fact, to quote Van gough, I think I have one ere!! :lol:

Yep just checked, if you want it pm me an address and I will stick it in the post quick smart!!

SDD~~~~ :sun: