Free large buckets!

Toerag

As people will be starting to fish for mullet now I thought I'd tell you where you can get free large plastic buckets which are perfect for shirvy, and are also big enough to keep fish alive in for weighing & returning.

They look like this, but they're black.PCI44BTWHHTSSL2.jpg

Magazines used to recommend getting a Frytol bucket from a restaurant or chipshop, however many use metal drums of oil these days so the frytol buckets are harder to find. Here's the modern alternative:-

You may have to ask around, but the majority of commercial fishermen here use Shell Rimula-X engine oil which comes in 20 litre buckets with a lid glued on and a pouring spout. Once you've removed the lid and cleaned the dregs of oil out they can be used for whatever purpose you wish. Eventually the handles break, but they tend to last 6 months or so before they do. The best thing about the bucket is that it's very tall, which means you can carry water or other fluids without slopping them out everywhere.

I get mine from the oil recycling point on the fisherman's quay where the fishermen leave them after they've used the oil in their engines.

To get the lid off - the lids are glued on and I've never successfully managed to get one off without damaging it. My latest method is to leave the bucket upside down for a day to let the oil drain down, then I take the pourer lid off and dispose of the oil properly. I then use a stanley knife to cut through the sloping section of the lid all the way round where it goes onto the side of the bucket. This gives me the main part of the lid, and the rim which is left stuck on. I can then cut through the rim and peel it off, and dispose of it carefully with the rest of the lid. After that I use rags to wipe out the oil before cleaning it thoroughly with hot water & fairy liquid.

Hope that helps some of you, I'll post pics on here next time I do one. I can happily transport roundfish up to about 5lb in weight, although the tails stick out with bigger fish.

Edited by Toerag

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Not free, but what I've found useful is the plastic collapsible 2 gallon buckets that you can buy in camping equipment outlets.

Just the right size for mixing up bread and water to empty into your bread bag, or spoon out of the bucket into the fishing area

And can then be rinsed out at the end of the session, and packed into your bag, taking up little room.

Useful if there is a fair walk to your fishing spot and you don't have enough pairs of arms to carry everything comfortably, or like me when cycling to many of my mullet fishing spots.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Not free, but what I've found useful is the plastic collapsible 2 gallon buckets that you can buy in camping equipment outlets.

Just the right size for mixing up bread and water to empty into your bread bag, or spoon out of the bucket into the fishing area

And can then be rinsed out at the end of the session, and packed into your bag, taking up little room.

Useful if there is a fair walk to your fishing spot and you don't have enough pairs of arms to carry everything comfortably, or like me when cycling to many of my mullet fishing spots.

:clap2: Not free but I reviewed a super bucket by Mustad last year. It has a waterproof lid, is

strong enough for me to sit on and holds about 5 gallons of liquid. Very smart in Mustad blue livery. Just the job for carrying all your bait, shirvey etc and you can keep fish alive if you need to, about £5.99 or less. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jun 2 2006, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:clap2: Not free but I reviewed a super bucket by Mustad last year. It has a waterproof lid, is

strong enough for me to sit on and holds about 5 gallons of liquid. Very smart in Mustad blue livery. Just the job for carrying all your bait, shirvey etc and you can keep fish alive if you need to, about £5.99 or less. :clap2:

Yes, the mustad ones look nice, but I'm a skinflint and I like recycling (or 'collecting junk' as my missus calls it).

Edited by Toerag

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Yes, the mustad ones look nice, but I'm a skinflint and I like recycling (or 'collecting junk' as my missus calls it).
Mick sells largeish buckets with lids for £3.50 a go if you can't be bothered to clean them out. One full of shirvy lasts me a 4 hour session at a scoop every 5-10 mintes.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society