How to repair kayak?

Glasgowdan

D I Y isnt so easy. The repair shoud be a circular patch. A split for instance could carry on splitting even after a repair unless its done properly.

A repaired canoe will always fetch a lower second hand price. A bodged job would make it unsaleable.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D I Y isnt so easy. The repair shoud be a circular patch. A split for instance could carry on splitting even after a repair unless its done properly.

A repaired canoe will always fetch a lower second hand price. A bodged job would make it unsaleable.

"D I Y isnt so easy." for who?

I haven't seen the damage but if the hole and the associated wear was circular the patch should also be circular. However, I suspect it isn't so it shouldn't.

To deal with a split you drill a small hole at either end of the split before building it back up with filler rod. The purpose of the hole is to spread the stresses that caused the original split. However, I am fairly sure he didn't mention a split. :unsure:

As for the "lower price" and "unsaleable" it sounds like he got an absolute bargain :thumbs: - I would certainly pay £40 for it bodged or not.

Sorry, GB but I think you have missed the point - as Glasgowdan said, "it's a £40 yak".

Pat. Pending

:) Thanks for helping out everyone, but I've gone to an auto bodyshop in the end. Cut a hole and got a new hatch so they had a patch to do it with, and its now sorted for £37... still not bad, £80 for a fixed yak, paddles and buoyancy aids! We are taking her out at the start of next week so Ill try and get some photos.

It is a Perception Freedom 2 - it says on it!

kayakfixed.jpg

Cheerio, happy paddling

Great job and as you say cheap as chips, have fun.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

:) Thanks for helping out everyone, but I've gone to an auto bodyshop in the end. Cut a hole and got a new hatch so they had a patch to do it with, and its now sorted for £37... still not bad, £80 for a fixed yak, paddles and buoyancy aids! We are taking her out at the start of next week so Ill try and get some photos.

It is a Perception Freedom 2 - it says on it!

kayakfixed.jpg

Cheerio, happy paddling

looks like theres another 16 holes that need fixing up to me :blink:

Self drain holes... dont go into the middle. Bit like the drainage wells on a charter boat!

Hi Glasgow Dan :)

Nice one mate what a bargain!! Just a thought though, when testing her make it somewhere shallow for the first couple of trips. Cheap kayak or not, sinking in the deep is BAD whatever the price ha ha!. Now you have a hatch, use loads of bouyancy until you are 100% sure the weld is perfect and will take the stresses of hard use. Doesn't have to be expensive stuff, old beach balls, old PFD's pool noodles, etc etc and when you are confident remove em!.

Good luck mate and all the best

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

What a bargain Dan

Now comes the expensive bit, kitting it out ;)

Hope you get loads of enjoyment out of it and nail good fish to boot.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• 2 weeks later...