Engine whine

GlennB

Cavalier 1.7 turbo-diesel .. its engine is whining big time :(

Starts whining when warm, after about 10 miles or so.

Very high pitched indeed, like when you rub a wet finger around the rim of a glass.

Very different from the scream of a worn fan belt.

Same noise in+out of gear. Same noise on tickover or revving. The loudness and sound don't change, no matter what the engine speed.

It comes from "the engine" area ;)

Being fairly clueless about cars, any clues?

So far I can only guess at something that's always going at the same speed, maybe a water pump or somesuch?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Check the adjustable tensioner on the cam belt , it could be the bearings on the jockey wheel are seized and the wheel refuses to turn and creates friction on the back of the belt which causes the screaming and will lead to cam belt failure

Brian might well be right there actually, if it IS the tensioner, get it sorted, as it can lead to belt failure, and total knacking of yer engine if it does go... :(

I had a Vectra that did the same, was a bearing on one of the tensioners......it rubbed the belt to pieces, but luckily I got it changed before it went completely..... :blink:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Brian might well be right there actually, if it IS the tensioner, get it sorted, as it can lead to belt failure, and total knacking of yer engine if it does go... :(

I had a Vectra that did the same, was a bearing on one of the tensioners......it rubbed the belt to pieces, but luckily I got it changed before it went completely..... :blink:

i wish i`d known that 5 years ago

bought `J reg 16v GTE astra.had a cambelt change but didnt opt for the bearings and belt tensioner.ideal for 4 months but then a rubbing noise started from the engine.performance was ok though.anyway ignored it and then the cam belt snapped in traffic :wallbash:

kept trying to start as i thought it had stalled.

one dead engine.

on the plus side i sold the ecu and abs bits for more than i bought the car for. :clap2:

Thanks for the advice all.

Had a cam belt go on a Cortina once, but that car had 'clearance', so all that happened was it sounded like a sewing machine. But I gather on most cars the valves actually hit the pistons - will get it checked out pdq ;)

either that or get a louder stereo as mentioned by another realistic angler ;)

Loud, plus disco lights so it all drowns out the sight+sound of the RAC man pulling up next to me ? :lol: