Off the top with a fly rod.

Steve1

Has anyone had any success surface fishing with a fly rod???? I had a go the other week but had trouble keeping a mixer on the hook, I tried a hair rig and also super gluing the mixer to the hook. I think the mixer was coming off on the back of the cast, it was OK up to about 15yds but anything further needed to be double hauled and the force was just too much.

I have a video made by Simon Pomeroy called a guide to winter carp fishing, he is taking some good sized carp of the top in the winter in a real hard frost with every thing frozen with a fly rod, it's amazing to watch.

If you want a mixer to stay on ,on the cast, use a bait band to hold it to the hook, that should work.

Hi Steve1 and welcome to Anglers Net.

No idea about bait on a fly rod but have you tried floating or slow-sinking flies? They can produce some interesting action with US carp when they are active near the surface.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Has anyone had any success surface fishing with a fly rod???? I had a go the other week but had trouble keeping a mixer on the hook, I tried a hair rig and also super gluing the mixer to the hook. I think the mixer was coming off on the back of the cast, it was OK up to about 15yds but anything further needed to be double hauled and the force was just too much.

Try using a hair-rigged cork ball as a hook-bait with 'mixers' as freebies. The carp can't/won't tell the difference between the hook-bait and freebies. I use this method for all my surface fishing, including fly fishing.

Try using a hair-rigged cork ball as a hook-bait with 'mixers' as freebies. The carp can't/won't tell the difference between the hook-bait and freebies. I use this method for all my surface fishing, including fly fishing.

Or even a fake (plastic) mixer. As they grip the hook shank well they should stand the rigours of casting.

As well as using fly tackle to present mixers (either real or artificial) try using some "proper" fly patterns as well.Ive found carp feeding in the surface film to be suckers for a size 12 red suspender buzzer.A lot easier to cast and no need for freebies.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A word of warning - don't try the plastic mixers! They weigh a ton and are sooooo hard to cast. I have a very sore ear after trying them as they are just so hrd to control. Sedge imitations or 10mm cork balls are the way to go in my experience.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
have a look on rmc's site,thers a cracking article by singy on using fly rods for carp,he had 2 20's!

what size fly rod and line would be be safe for carp fishing

chris :sun::sun::sun:

you don't have to be mad but it helps!!!!!