2nd fishing trip

Old Sarah

This time I have the right Ian

We have just come back from staying near Port Patrick. We had a fantastic half days fishing with Ian Cerexhe of Portpatrick Charters. After a few contact problems, ie lack of mobile signal, we went out with him last Thurs from Portpatrick and headed North towards Killantringan Lighthouse. What fantastic conditions for complete novices. Not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind, very occasional slight swell after the navy or the ferry had been past miles away! Ian was so helpfull, and we (well I) were in to fish straight away. Couple of pollack for starters then tea. ie 4 mackerel for the barbie. After that it was just constant with enough time to admire the scenery. The tally included 6 haddock (now in the freezer), coley, dog fish, saith, whiting and gurnard nmaking a species total of 8.

We had heard about Ian from one of the coast guards who had been down to the beach. He said he was one of their lads and was very keen on safety and the boat was well maintained. This was obviouse as soon as we steped on board even to the extent of showing us how to call in a mayday.... if he fell overboard etc. May seem a bit "overboard" (excuse the pun) to you out there who are experienced boat anglers but to a complete novice, even on a totally calm day the knowledge that he took safety so seriously was reassuring.

So finally, a very big Thank You to Ian we will certainy book you again if in the area.

If any body wants his contact detail please pm me ( I assume I am not allowed to post those on here though he has ok'ed it)

You can never take safety too seriously on the water. The skipper might have a heart attack, or a stroke. You would need to know how to get help.

It's not unknown for boats to spring a leak and sink in calm water.

Obviously a top notch skipper.

As for being 'overboard', not at all. I have seen so called 'experienced' boat anglers take to the sea in small boats without even a life jacket on, wearing thigh waders! For 'experience', read, arrogant. These are the idiots who waste so much of the lifeboat's time and money.

Edited by maidstonemike