Recomend a compass

GB

Compass? allways thought the sun rises in the East and Sets in the west... Good enough for me... Then again i am fitting my GPS Fishfinder with built in compass on my ocean.

Will be great to plot the fishing spots and marks allong with points of interest. only wish i could get sport tv on it aswell..

Boys and their toys when will we stop?

Yes the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but not at night time when the fog sets in and the gps plays up. And yes it does happen especially to someone as unlucky as me :P

I have handheld g.p.s so for me it's easier to navigate with a fixed compass, plus I'm used to having one onboard and cant get used to going without one, just habit I guess.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batteries tend to go flat on Electronic gadgets as well, so best not to rely on them, get yourself a compass as well, even if it's a pocket one, just in case.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Somerset- if you know what coast you are fishing from, shouldnt be a problem.

If you dont know you are off the South coast, then you got bigger problems!! :P

B.A.S.S. member

Yes the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but not at night time when the fog sets in and the gps plays up. And yes it does happen especially to someone as unlucky as me :P

I have handheld g.p.s so for me it's easier to navigate with a fixed compass, plus I'm used to having one onboard and cant get used to going without one, just habit I guess.

Purley for interset what are you using to hold the chart, sectant, parrallels and compass and so that in the fog you have plotted your course and can work out and remember that you need to stear 43degrees east to get home.

From experiance of boating rule of thumb is allways to know your course and return path. disorientation is usual so if you have traveld 3 nm in the wrong direction with tide and current affecting your course thinking you should head SSW could infact put you any where. Yes Fog is a pain and can come suddenly, but all RNLI members will say be aware of conditions and the prevailing weather and be prepaired to ensure a safe trip. If you disobey the rules be prepaired to get in trouble. Not saying its wrong and compasses are good but putting equpiment in place of common sense is mindless. Let behold we do not have to attend a funeral for the missleading thought that this simple tool will save us.

Those who travel out of lands sight in a kyak must have somethink missing.

My persomel thoughts only and i do not mean to offend anyone.

Purley for interset what are you using to hold the chart, sectant, parrallels and compass and so that in the fog you have plotted your course and can work out and remember that you need to stear 43degrees east to get home.

From experiance of boating rule of thumb is allways to know your course and return path. disorientation is usual so if you have traveld 3 nm in the wrong direction with tide and current affecting your course thinking you should head SSW could infact put you any where. Yes Fog is a pain and can come suddenly, but all RNLI members will say be aware of conditions and the prevailing weather and be prepaired to ensure a safe trip. If you disobey the rules be prepaired to get in trouble. Not saying its wrong and compasses are good but putting equpiment in place of common sense is mindless. Let behold we do not have to attend a funeral for the missleading thought that this simple tool will save us.

Those who travel out of lands sight in a kyak must have somethink missing.

My persomel thoughts only and i do not mean to offend anyone.

If you want to rely on electronics alone then no problem. The trusty compass has bought many a mariner home since it's conception, so in a word this simple tool will save you if you know how to use it.

As for the chart, it hangs around my neck in a waterproof chart wallet if I need it.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I find a Silva hiking compass kept in my pocket until I need it works fine - just stick it under the bungies over the tackle box in the P13 - or get some velcro to position it on ANY kayak - it is quite accurate enough for a kayak - the movement on a kayak makes it impossible to steer a course closer than 5 degrees anyway - unless it is flat calm.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

A slightly more serious comment than my last one this time!

I think I have heard on the news somewhere of a RNLI sponsored device that you can clip on, and use in an emergency to alert the emergency services?

Am I imagining things, or have people heard about something like this?

B.A.S.S. member

SIJ,

If you go out and don't have the tools in place to get you home in an emergency, or the means of knowing which way is land when the fog comes down, you take a dip and after clambering back aboard you are now probably unsure of which direction you should be heading, you'll be glad that you have that compass onboard. It weighs nothing, takes up very little room. Be sensible and carry one.

Grant, the item you mention is the EPIRB, I have heard that there are so many false alerts given out by these devices where they are dropped overboard or become wet, that the emergency services only respond if a further distress call is received. They are also very expensive.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Have just been looking up the Guardian RNLI system, and think the personal alarm system only works if you have the main system installed, which in its current form, probably isnt for a kayak.

Interesting development though- reckon will be there in a couple of years.

B.A.S.S. member

Pains Wessex have a new system out too - if you go overboard it sets off an orange smoke - which lasts for something like 10 minutes. I had a press release about it the other day.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo