Mackerel bashing

Zigs

going back to litter, i found a pull top off a can of pilchards at cogden beach today, someone probably used fish as bait (?) & left the lid.

can you imagine the pain & blood if a kid stepped on it :(

if any of you local anglers are going to join me in the litter collection campaign, can you let me know of any dangerous things you collect, as i plan to do a risk assesment on the rubbish & submit it to dorset county council. they have ignored previous e mails, but this will be something they can quantify & cant ignore. all litter mind you, not just angling stuff, dont want to hang ourselves.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love you davy

i love you mods

Ziggy - you are starting to scare me a little. :headhurt:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i love you davy

i love you mods

Ziggy - you are starting to scare me a little. :headhurt:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

friday night newt, a traditional drinking time in england, esp, in the summer :drunk::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Most common thing we find at our village (Hive) beach are 'disposable' BBQ's & empty beer bottles. Grockles have a BBQ, get drunk & just leave EVERYTHING on the beach. Quite a few times I've picked up the litter myself & taken it to the bins. What effort does it take ?????

I don't see that much angling litter at Hive apart from the odd empty shockleader reel

On the mackerel point: Zig, I don't suppose handling mackerel is a problem for you ? I heard the last time you caught some physh Macmillan was still in power ??? :blink:;):D

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Most common thing we find at our village (Hive) beach are 'disposable' BBQ's & empty beer bottles. Grockles have a BBQ, get drunk & just leave EVERYTHING on the beach. Quite a few times I've picked up the litter myself & taken it to the bins. What effort does it take ?????

I don't see that much angling litter at Hive apart from the odd empty shockleader reel

On the mackerel point: Zig, I don't suppose handling mackerel is a problem for you ? I heard the last time you caught some physh Macmillan was still in power ??? :blink:;):D

:lol::lol::lol:

you're only jealouse cause i caught 2 mackerell on your beach on sunday night :fishing:

congratulations on the pollack, was it big ?

• 2 weeks later...

:)

welcome to anglers net groyne bandit, i know, its beyond belief, its also why i dont fish matches anymore.

as young hembo said, education must be the way forward ( followed by sub machine guns perhaps, oopps, forgot the anti terrorism laws )

where is chesters1 when you need him :blink:

big thanks to the mods for pinning this one

i love you mods :):):)

:)

hi ziggy thanks for the welcome ,, i started fishing again 4 years ago ,& stoped matches very quickly , i couldend belive the waste just to win a chocky orange or sumit,,, i try & unhook the non shaker offers with a very wet rag ,,,,, the sets off feathers should only come with barbless hooks ,,,,think of the challenge ,,,any way i still try spinning .....one at a time is more fun any way ,,,,,,looks like all you guys seem to have the rubbish prob,, you wana see bournemouth area after a warm sat evening,,,,,,,,,,

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

complete newbie here who goes course fishing on holiday with teenage son.

Last year (not fishing) we hired a small boat at Mylor on the Fal in Cornwall.

The hirer said we should try fishing for mackeral. This year we'd like to try,

only to catch enough to eat, but have no idea about feathers etc,

if anyone knows the area and would like to give us some info I'd be very grateful.

BTW I live near the Lancaster Canal and the fishermen and dog owners seem to be competing with each other to try and make it unpleasant, the dog owners are winning, but only just.

Hi Everyone,

complete newbie here who goes course fishing on holiday with teenage son.

Last year (not fishing) we hired a small boat at Mylor on the Fal in Cornwall.

The hirer said we should try fishing for mackeral. This year we'd like to try,

only to catch enough to eat, but have no idea about feathers etc,

if anyone knows the area and would like to give us some info I'd be very grateful.

BTW I live near the Lancaster Canal and the fishermen and dog owners seem to be competing with each other to try and make it unpleasant, the dog owners are winning, but only just.

welcome to anglers net rob07.

no secret to feathering off a boat, you could do it with just a handline if you dont want to go to the expense of buying a boat rod.

buy a set of feathers and attach a swivell to one end, 4 or 5 oz lead to the other, lower it off the side of the boat, mackerell swim in the mid to top of the water. lower it up & down, immitating small bait fish. if the fish are there you will soon get a hit.

dont go too deep like i did, caught a 5lb codling that was feeding under the mackerell.

like i said earlier, any small ones, just shake them off the hook straight back into the water, easier from a boat.

if its this hot, take an ice cream tub full of frozen seawater ( can take a couple of days to freeze ) put it in a bucket of seawater & it will keep your catch fresh. mackerell will go off in half an hour in this heat & the fat in them breaks down into histamine, which could put you in hospital or worse.

enjoy your trip & be safe :)

p.s. someone will come on in a minute & suggest spinning, i know they will

Edited by ziggy searchfield

welcome to anglers net rob07.

no secret to feathering off a boat, you could do it with just a handline if you dont want to go to the expense of buying a boat rod.

buy a set of feathers and attach a swivell to one end, 4 or 5 oz lead to the other, lower it off the side of the boat, mackerell swim in the mid to top of the water. lower it up & down, immitating small bait fish. if the fish are there you will soon get a hit.

dont go too deep like i did, caught a 5lb codling that was feeding under the mackerell.

like i said earlier, any small ones, just shake them off the hook straight back into the water, easier from a boat.

if its this hot, take an ice cream tub full of frozen seawater ( can take a couple of days to freeze ) put it in a bucket of seawater & it will keep your catch fresh. mackerell will go off in half an hour in this heat & the fat in them breaks down into histamine, which could put you in hospital or worse.

enjoy your trip & be safe :)

p.s. someone will come on in a minute & suggest spinning, i know they will

Hi Ziggy,

thanks for the info, sounds straightforward enough,

I've read all the advice about touching them, very scientific.

I thought about spinning, we've spun for sewin (spelling) in Wales and spent most of the time retrieving the spinners, so I think feathers will be best bet.

Thanks again B)