What are my macro options? Advice please.

Eatlard

Hi all,

I'm back with more questions :)

I have a Nikon D50 with the standard 18-55 Nikon lens and also have a Sigma 70-300 APO (with the macro option)

I'm trying to work out my best way forward for macro choices.

I think(!) I have the folliwng choices but am curious if others have tried them and their comments please.

1 - Screw in close up lens like the Nikon 6T which fits to the front of my lens. Would this work with my Sigma?

2 - Extension tubes? Would these make my current Sigma lens able to focus close and therefore increase the size of my subject. The Sigma does a 1:2 ratio which is Ok but not close enough for what I'd like to do - insect macros.

3 - Forget the above and go with a dedicated macro lense. This is the more costly but better results option. I have my eye on the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 DI 1:1 AF Macro for Nikon - which is about £280.

Much appreciate any help here please.

Hi Eatlard ...

The screw-in front lens and the extension tubes both do the same job ... magnify the image by whatever the lens or tube value is.

Most macro buffs go for the extention tubes, or even bellows. The ultimate macro outfit is, of course, a microscope !! :blink::blink:

I have had some good results using the tubes.

Front lenses and tubes can be picked up quite cheaply, so it may be worth while giving them a go before spending more on a "dedicated" lens.

Lenses and tubes should work with any lens, just make sure you get the correct fitting !!

Might be worth while looking around for a 2nd hand macro or taking a look at places like EBay ......... if you decide to go that way. :):)

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Guest Jaybee

I use both the Tamron 90 and 180 (about 50/50 in terms of use)

Both are superb lenses.

If you can afford the little bit extra the Tamron 180 is worth considering for the extra distance it gives you to the subject and for the convenience of a tripod collar on the lens. The 90 on the other hand does have a very useful focus limiter switch which comes in very handy if you are using auto focus at close range as it prevents the camera searching up to infinity.

Both of course are dedicated 1:1

One more option, the simplest by far, but not often seen these days is a reversing ring, don't know if it would work with your set-up but I used to use one with my old SLR.