Anyone heard of Grass Carp?

kozak0085

Hey everyone I've been reading through most of the posts and I still havent seen any mention of Grass Carp. I'm not sure if you have these in the UK but I suppose you do because they were introduced to mainy places to control aquatic vegetation. Ok anyways back to my point. In my town there's this pond/river and I have found nice sized Carp (well over 2ft long). Grass Carp are more similar to bass in appearance and it is common for them to exceed 4ft 40lbs at adult (some have been found in the 70lb range). Yes so I have tried almost everything to catch these carp. At first I had a 15lb test and I tried bread, the carp took my entire set up and snapped it so I grabbed some 50lb test spiderwire.(NOW IM READY) the only problem is that they wont bite on bread and yet we see them jumping out of the water and surfacing

I've tried lettuce, bread, worms(and fake worms), tomatos, celery, cattail, potatos, grapes, apples, beans/peas and still nothing. I'm thinking about trying a meat such as sausage. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Also I'm thinking I might want to make my bait float but im not sure how to rig it (I usually a lure and minnow kinda guy and usually dont try for carp). So if anyone can help please do.

thanks

Grass carp should not snap you up on 15lb gear if you fish it properly. In fact I don't recall ever having being snapped on 15lb line including grass carp and cats well over 30lb.

I would go back to 15lb and check everything properly. Did the line snap, if so at a knot or did the hook give ? If everythings set up properly 15lb is fine. One things for sure you'll be very lucky to get any sort of action on 50lb 'rope'.

Oh and I'd stick with bread for bait.

Rob.

i have caught plenty of Grass Carp in my local pool, its 3.5 acres and 25ft deep, i find that they need to be really confiedent as they are spooked very easy, I use dog biscuits as the freebies and a false one on the hook, i will spend a full hour just putting out freebies and letting them take them until they are confiedent there is no hook out there... then i will load up the area again and cast well past the feeding / freebie zone and wait for them to start gulping, then draw in my bait and 9 times out of 10 it will do the trick, however I am using 12lb main line with 8lb floro carbon hook length and only ever been snapped once.

yeah sorry people, they werent grass carp. I went back today and somone was tossing the carp out as the ran up the river. they got 4 total and turned out to be River Carp.

Do you really think nothing with bite on that 50lb spiderwire? It's like braided line(green in color) and has the diamter of 12lb line (quite thin).

I myself am not even sure if anything big will hit on it but so far I have landed a few medium sized bass with it.

With a 3 1/2lb TC, stiff actioned rod, I can only exert 6 1/2lbs of linear strain on the mainline before the rod is at it's full TC.

The only time you could snap 15lb mainline, using a carp rod, is if the mainline was faulty or damaged. If it failed at (or near) the knot, then it's person who tied the knot that was at fault.

Use the lightest line (smallest diameter) you can get away with, bearing in mind the mainline's abrasion resistance and the casting weight. (a good guide for this is; casting wieght x 10 = minimum mainline in lbs)

Personally I use 50lb PowerPro, but that is for casting purposes as shockleaders are banned where I fish and I'm casting 4.5oz out to 140yards.