Float Fishing

riverside

Over the last few years, I haven’t been fishing as often I as used to. Last season I only went six times and all of these were pike fishing trips between the months of October and February. I can’t even remember the last time I went float fishing for the usual coarse species. So today, I decided I would have a couple of hours in the afternoon come evening just to have a trip out, and opted to float fish a local stretch of river. I decided to travel light and not take loads of gear, not that I have loads anyway, but for bait I only took maggots and corn.

After I set up, it wasn’t long before I had a fish. The first fish I had was a roach. I ended up with a few roach, some bleak, one small bream and a bootlace eel. I could honestly say that there were no great fish amongst my catch, they were basically all tiddlers.

However, I have to say it was such a pleasure just to be there. Being away from my work, which is often in a noisy environment, to being sat beside the river with the surrounding sounds of the birds singing was unique and awesome. Another thing that was great to watch (apart from my float going under) was what I believe to be small chub chasing bleak. The speed that both predator and prey moved through the water was amazing.

i enjoy being out on the bank, even if i don't catch anything.

my local haunt is the River Irwell.

Just watching what's around me is good...

the Mink swimming about.

the Herons catching a fish or 2.

Squirrels chasing each other in the trees.

Rabbits, and the odd fox going about their business.

i love just being there to see it all

:)

IPB Image

I know exactly where you're coming from riverside. I've been carp fishing for the last 10 years and i found myself going away for weekends and just waiting for the alarm to go off. So i started taking my float rod and i ended up enjoying cating 1/2 lb perch, roach and bream so much that i sold all my carp gear and now just posess a float and ledger rod.

There's nothing nicer than going down to my local duckpond ( 2 mins walk) with a just the basic stuff in a carrier bag and fishing for anything i can get.....Eels are welcome too !

Andy

Someone said to me the other day when I was off to the river fishing about how boring it must be. My reply was there is too much going on around me to get bored. I'm glad there are so many others like me that don't get bored when they are fishing :)

lyn

Frustrated :angry: yes :lol:

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I just joined a local club solely to float fish on the Medway, they also have a bit of the Eden nearby that I want to look at. I tend to carry minimal kit, most of its stashed in my waistcoat, so its convenient to stick a few bits in the car and go. I dont catch any monsters but enjoy being out and about watching nature, dont tend to see many people when I am out but the anglers come across as friendly people.

Went out last Sunday and spent most of the evenin wtching the moorhens and kingfishers, had a great time.

Edited by flibb