Please show me a real REEL!

kishkash

I can't remember the exact technical reasons...I will post again later if I do...

But, the lubrication it provides tends to be temporary and worse, it will disolve certain greases. Now fishing reels need to be both oiled and greased, at certain points, there is no substitute for thin machine oil or proper grease and WD40 will wash both of these away. It also reacts badly with neoprene, rubber and wood. Wood shouldn't be a problem for the average yakker but .....It's also highly flammable as most young boys have discovered...;)

It's great stuff, it's water repellent qualities are superb, but it is no substitute for proper lubrication....

Rumour has it that it is a first class fish attractant and I have seen several people spray their baits with the stuff..

@Ped: aren't we talking about fixed spool? I certainly was..

Edited by finn17

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

I can't remember the exact technical reasons...I will post again later if I do...

But, the lubrication it provides tends to be temporary and worse, it will disolve certain greases. Now fishing reels need to be both oiled and greased, at certain points, there is no substitute for thin machine oil or proper grease and WD40 will wash both of these away. It also reacts badly with neoprene, rubber and wood. Wood shouldn't be a problem for the average yakker but .....It's also highly flammable as most young boys have discovered...;)

It's great stuff, it's water repellent qualities are superb, but it is no substitute for proper lubrication....

Rumour has it that it is a first class fish attractant and I have seen several people spray their baits with the stuff..

@Ped: aren't we talking about fixed spool? I certainly was..

Even worse it can dissolve parts of certain reels. Anything graphite like the sides of the old ABU 5,6,7 series...it tends to EAT. At least it did with my reels.

I also have ABU baitrunners and apart from the usual scratches, they've lasted pretty well, but you need to resign yourself to an above average amount of maintenance if you use your reels in the salt. Personally I prefer multipliers (ABU series 5000 and 6000) Firstly because they are totally reliable and secondly because they are dead easy to open up from time to time , clean, re-oil and go again.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

thanks for the responses chaps! very useful.

I will take a look at some of the reels suggested - shimano seems to have the nod.

and possibly a rod holder extension is on the horizon.

cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

I am pretty slack (read very) with maintaining my reels, but do give them a wash and 3 in 1 after most trips.

Shimano fixed spool didnt hold up too well (two seasons before some issues), but a daiwa baitcaster, that was well expensive, has lasted a lot longer.

I think from now on, better reels, and an annual visit to the Reel Doctor, who has just finished my Daiwa. When I get that back, the shimao will be off to him for his verdict.

I do think the multipliers last a lot longer though, and easy enough to learn to cast, as long as you are going for records. If you cant reach it with your cast- paddle!

B.A.S.S. member