Mackerel Ringworms!

101_North

Folks,

Just a quick question. Been getting a few mackerel over the past few weeks. I noticed that last night all the fish were full of ringworms. None of my previous catches have been affected. Is this something that can be specific to certain shoals or is it just coincidence that all fish caught last night were in this condition?

I know that parasites are fairly common in fish but can these move to the flesh or are they gut only? Fish were gutted a few hours after being caught. Are these fish OK to cook or should they just be frozen for bait?

Just curious :)

Were the worms in the gut itself, on on the other organs? I don't know about mackerel, but cod are said to have worms under the skin which move into the flesh if you don't ice them down quickly. They're killed by cooking the fish, but obviously show up. I often find worms in pollack and ling guts, and on the livers as well. It's good practise to gut and wash the fish asap after capture, remembering to sluice out the mouth as the worms are often spat into it as the swimbladder forces the stomach out due to decompression.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Were the worms in the gut itself, on on the other organs? I don't know about mackerel, but cod are said to have worms under the skin which move into the flesh if you don't ice them down quickly. They're killed by cooking the fish, but obviously show up. I often find worms in pollack and ling guts, and on the livers as well. It's good practise to gut and wash the fish asap after capture, remembering to sluice out the mouth as the worms are often spat into it as the swimbladder forces the stomach out due to decompression.

The whole belly cavity was full of them - as soon as the knife went in you could see them on pretty much every organ. There wasn't any evidence of them in the flesh but I guess they would be hard to spot.

Find it interesting that every fish was full of them despite the mackerel caught on previous visits to the same venue this year being clean :huh:

Those worms you refer to are only in the gut of the fish not in the flesh.

We've been getting mackeral for a few years now with gut worms and it seems to make no difference to the health of the fish, they seem as fit and as healthy as ever they were. Don't worry about the worms they don't contaminate the flesh and the fish taste just as good as they always did. No health worries.

Those worms you refer to are only in the gut of the fish not in the flesh.

We've been getting mackeral for a few years now with gut worms and it seems to make no difference to the health of the fish, they seem as fit and as healthy as ever they were. Don't worry about the worms they don't contaminate the flesh and the fish taste just as good as they always did. No health worries.

Well they've been scoffed now - and you're right - tasted as good as ever :)

I've taken a screen grab of this thread though - just incase I die :P

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I only just joined the forum and it was to look for info on these worms :clap:

We were out at the weekend(Eyemouth, East Coast of Scotland), and I took a couple of mackrel home but didn't gut them on the boat. I was amazed at the amount of worms in the belly cavity all over the organs. I threw the fish out :yucky:

Are you sure they wouldn't burrow into the flesh? I noticed some small pin prick holes all along the back bone area(where the red bloody bit is) and thought if they can burrow into there then they could burrow into the flesh :huh:

How did they get into the cavity in the first place? the must have started in the gut or something and found their way out.

I was looking forward to my peppered mackrel but the thought put me right off.

GiZZeRR