How do you approach fishing a new water?

carpstar

Research before hand ,have a look before start fishing try to notice Wat tactics are catching on ,ask in tackle shops ,look for signs of fish rolling/feeding of top,basic watercraft.

Edited by chris mc

Doing it myself on Friday for a four day session (dawn till dusk - no night fishing). 80 miles from home but have been there the last 2 weekends to have a nut about. Got fish taking mixers last night and saw them to mid twentys. Wish I'd had more than my marker rod with me! There's a no pre-baiting and no boilie rule as well so looking forward to the challenge. No suitable climbing trees so fish spotting hasn't been easy. Think I've identified some potential areas and feel confident. Local knowledge is a bit thin on the ground as my London accent identified me as a foreigner! Meeting the bailiff friday morning (to inspect my rigs and bait) so I might get a bit more joy out of him. Lake record is apparently 38 - hence my interest. Opting for light baiting in quite a few areas that I can see if the bait has been eaten. Fishing two rods from what I think is the best place to start the campaign with third rod as a rover - casting to any areas of activity. I think that dawn and dusk will be the best times and will spend the days trying to spot fish. You are allowed to fish an hour before dawn and an hour after dark and I reckon if I'm gonna nick one it will be just into those periods.

All sounds good in theory - let's hope it works!

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Doing it myself on Friday for a four day session (dawn till dusk - no night fishing). 80 miles from home but have been there the last 2 weekends to have a nut about. Got fish taking mixers last night and saw them to mid twentys. Wish I'd had more than my marker rod with me! There's a no pre-baiting and no boilie rule as well so looking forward to the challenge. No suitable climbing trees so fish spotting hasn't been easy. Think I've identified some potential areas and feel confident. Local knowledge is a bit thin on the ground as my London accent identified me as a foreigner! Meeting the bailiff friday morning (to inspect my rigs and bait) so I might get a bit more joy out of him. Lake record is apparently 38 - hence my interest. Opting for light baiting in quite a few areas that I can see if the bait has been eaten. Fishing two rods from what I think is the best place to start the campaign with third rod as a rover - casting to any areas of activity. I think that dawn and dusk will be the best times and will spend the days trying to spot fish. You are allowed to fish an hour before dawn and an hour after dark and I reckon if I'm gonna nick one it will be just into those periods.

All sounds good in theory - let's hope it works!

Good luck mate!!!

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

Yup same as Chris.Research and preparation are of paramount importance for success.Same goes for an exotic trip abroad after a new species or a trip down to the local pond.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers guys :thumbs: Hopefully I'll have some pics to post Monday night. :fishing:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....