Back from Land's End

paintfly

Stopped off for a day and a half just N. of Bude at a very beautiful spot, which I still think has got a lot of potential, but only took the yak out for a paddle after having to wait all day for low tide to calm things down because there was quite a big surf and I didn't want to risk all my fishing gear. I managed to time it OK on the way out, but got totally trashed coming in, so I was glad I'd been cautious.

The Cornwall section of the holiday started really well with the fantastic weather continuing as expected. I spent a morning reccying all the potential launches I had in mind, and although most were do-able, only Porthgwarra stood out as being almost perfect: tiny beach, so hardly any tourists, and nice easy access through a tunnel in the cliff, thereby avoiding having to use the private slipway, which is actually a lot steeper than it looks in the photo. It also had the cheapest parking at £3 a day.

post-8675-1152558513_thumb.jpg

There was a lot of talk about basking sharks being close in at Cape Cornwall when I arrived, and when I got down to P'gwarra, that first morning, I could hardly believe my luck to find one feeding 30m. out, in about 2m. of water. Luckily, I happened to have a metal file on me, so I sharpened the flukes on my small anchor and attached it to my bait caster with some 200lb leeder and... nah not really, but I did think he was lucky Phooey wasn't there :D Anyway, joking apart, it was a total privilege: a 20 ft gentle giant that let me paddle right up to him/her. It made a couple of passes right underneath me, while I was fumbling excitedly with the camera, which meant that most of the photos were of my thumb or just water. Eventually, it had obviously had enough of me bothering it and moved off to deeper water. I saw them nearly every day I was out, but never managed to get quite that close again. After that, I went out another 50m or so and got straight into some Pollack, one of which was a decent enough size to keep for supper, so I was well happy.

post-8675-1152561080_thumb.jpg

post-8675-1152561380_thumb.jpg

The next couple of days were fairly calm, so I ventured a bit further afield, roughly 2 miles East along the coast past Porthcurno and Logan’s Rock, but apart from this cute little gurnard, (didn’t realise they made good eating, or I would have kept it) all I could catch were wrasse, which started to become as annoying as doggies, after a while, and of course mackies, which I always find entertaining and never tire of on the BBQ. So, still waiting to catch my first bass. The bloke in the bait shop said there were a few around, but he didn’t sound very convincing, so maybe it’s still a bit early for down there? Unfortunately, the weather then turned sh*te, the last 3 days either being blown out, totally fogged in, or both. But a good trip nonetheless, can’t wait to go back in August.

post-8675-1152563168_thumb.jpg

post-8675-1152563115_thumb.jpg

Glad you survived your trip to the end of the world, there are some truly beautiful places down there, looks like you found one of them.

Basking Shark must have been orsome, saw a picture last week with one on 25 yards off the beach people swimming all around oblivious of this huge beast swimming towards them.

As for the bass there are plenty up here or so I'm told :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Cracking report there paintfly, and some nice pictures.

I think your camera might be a bit damp now though.... :lol:

What kind do you use? I take it it is in a waterproof housing.

Neil.

Great report! I would have loved to have been able to join you..perhaps next year..

Steve

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

Cracking report there paintfly, and some nice pictures.

I think your camera might be a bit damp now though.... :lol:

What kind do you use? I take it it is in a waterproof housing.

Neil.

Olympus Miu(?) 720 SW, 7.1 Mgpx, size of a fag packet, and only needs housing at depths greater than 3m. I think Pentax do something similar.

Olympus Miu(?) 720 SW, 7.1 Mgpx, size of a fag packet, and only needs housing at depths greater than 3m. I think Pentax do something similar.

Cheers for that, I think this will be the one....

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/olympus_mju_720sw_silver.htm

Just need to save my pennies up now. B)

Neil.

Hi Paintfly

Sounds like you fell in love! Ahh :P

great trip and report. Any ideas on bait for basking sharks? :lol:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Well done Paintfly,aren't Red Gurnard the most pretty fish of all?You're right they do make good eating-got one myself a couple of weeks ago.When in August will you be down there? it may be Porgie Time! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph