Hi all! any help total beginner needs assistance if thats ok?

megocorp

Hiya to you!! You have nailed the idea by looking in at your local shop and he is obviously the RIGHT sort!! I'd say £70 would be about right, but possibly a tad OTT? But he has overheads, I don't! Well not STRICTLY true!! But mine are less!

But best place to start with advice. HAS to be the man who HOPES to keep you in tackle!! If he does not do his job you will become VERY disolusioned VERY quickly and tell all and sundry! So it does sound like you have found yourself a "Tod Carter" (Bradford anglers will rember Tod!!)

But whatever keep posting and EVENTUALLY someone will offer some help! Me? I am at present in Brighouse and soon to move to France!! But morally I'll (Like most on here!!) Give all the help I am able!!

GOOD LUCK!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hi everyone, suppose i just need some advice please.

I'm a complete beginner at 32 years old. I live very close to Himley Hall in the West Midlands and i always see people fishing when i'm out and about on my bike. I suppose for the same reasons i would like to try fishing by the pools etc.

You won't regret starting up. I am a qualified angling coach and suggest that you look one up on this website

http://www.allthingspiscatorial.com/lookingforacoach.htm.

Everyone has given some good advice as to your tackle needs and where to buy it. However what you need depends very much on the venues you will fish. A good coach can help you out with tackle choice as weel as give you a few hours coaching. Under the new EA licencing rul;es, complete beginners under the guidance of a coach don't need a rod licence for the coaching cession either. You can usually use the coach's tackle so before spending some time in the tackle shop, have a look at using a coach. I have seen some terrible stuff sold to beginners, totally useless for the venues and fish they are fishing for. Someone brings some rubbish tackle along every week. :angry:

The other thing I would suggest is that if you listen to Keith Arthur's show on Talksport (1053 or 1089 MW) radio every saturday or Sunday morning 6am to 8am he lists various free coaching sessions around the country for beginners. Again, licences, tackle, bait and permits are provided so if you can find one near you can try before you buy. :)