Same Fish Caught Twice Horror

Leon Roskilly

One of the best one's I know of was Norma & Dave (Vagabond), Norma's line was snapped off when the fish was within 30' of the boat. She put a new trace on and re baited then dropped it back to the bottom, within 5 min of it hitting the bottom 400' below she had a take. 30 min later she had the skate on the surface complete with the trace she had just lost, complete with bait still on it hanging from the left cornner of the jaw and her new trace hanging from the right corner.

Yes, and the best bit was that the 6' heavy nylon trace, swivel and 10' of 50 lb main line had pulled clear of the lead and running boom - evidence that the rigs we all use are safe (in the sense that the lead doesn't tether the fish) when the mainline goes.

Why that main line bust 10' from the attachment swivel is still a mystery. Both the end Norma recovered initially, and the end she got back from the recaptured skate showed a clean break (ie no fraying)

We replaced the entire line for the next trip.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't know where the journalist got his figures from but 90 tonnes of bass a day, 10,000 bass on a 100 square miles ? Sounds like a load of rowlocks to me. If a trawlerman took 90 tonnes of Bass from that area in a day and there are 10,000 in that area then 90 metric tonnes = 90,000 x 2.25 = 202,500 lbs / 10,000 = 20.25lbs. Not a bad average size off Bournemouth are they ?

If he takes 90 tonnes per day then he wont need to worry about bass in that area for long.

The article implies there are resident fish, but doesnt quite complete the circle.

That is a fish of a lifetime for some though- certainly would be for me!!

B.A.S.S. member

I don't know where the journalist got his figures from but 90 tonnes of bass a day, 10,000 bass on a 100 square miles ? Sounds like a load of rowlocks to me. If a trawlerman took 90 tonnes of Bass from that area in a day and there are 10,000 in that area then 90 metric tonnes = 90,000 x 2.25 = 202,500 lbs / 10,000 = 20.25lbs. Not a bad average size off Bournemouth are they ?

Ah!

You are assuming that he caught all 10,000.

What if he only caught half of them?

That would make them at least 40lb apiece. :rolleyes:

i'e. as likely as the rest of the exagerated drivel in the report.

I'm not doubting that he caught the same fish -

One particular bass, tagged some years ago, has been caught a further three times from the same rock mark in Wales, over three consecutive years, by two different anglers (the original captor has caught it three times in all). The tag identifies the fish and it is weighed and measured each time, to record its growth rate.

From the BASS website

One tagged bass (E416756) has become more important than a record fish. It was originally tagged by Tony Spiller on 24 may 2001, Tony caught the same fish fifteen months later on 21 august 2002 from almost the same spot. Thirteen months later on 17 september 2003, Tony recaptured the same fish, again from the same mark; and now, unbelievably, it has been recaptured by John Morgan on 21 August 2004, yet again from the same mark! It has become so well known locally, that it has been given a name - Billy!

Edited by steve pitts

Well now it's got a name Steve there's only one way to ensure catching it again.

An Activ8 spicy cheese and lobster boilie fished on a hair rigged, snakeskin and leadcore Snowman helicopter rig with backlead whilst dressed from head to toe in Fox cammo garments. :D