Canal confusion

Severn Wolf

Don`t really know where to put this!!!!!

I`ve always been under the impression that barges had to stick to a time limit for movement on a canal. Whether this is just usage of the locks or all motion I`m not sure but does anyone know if this is true? Its just that we were down the Staffs Worcester last night and a boat came through at 8.15pm. I was under the impression that 7pm was the time they had to be moored up.

Can anyone shine any light on the rules for barges? I`ve spent a while googling but without success.

wolf.gif

I`ve always been under the impression that barges had to stick to a time limit for movement on a canal. Whether this is just usage of the locks or all motion I`m not sure but does anyone know if this is true? Its just that we were down the Staffs Worcester last night and a boat came through at 8.15pm. I was under the impression that 7pm was the time they had to be moored up.

Can anyone shine any light on the rules for barges? I`ve spent a while googling but without success.

Hi there,

For hire boats, it's normally stated in the booking conditions that you shouldn't cruise before 8am or after 8pm.

When we're out cruising however, we follow the rule that if it's going dark, it's time to stop before you can't see where to moor up!

Basically, if you can see where you're going, you can carry on. In practice though, it's polite not to cruise too late, particularly past moored boats. There may be restricted opening times on some locks, usually to conserve water, or because of vandalism restricting the opening times.

JSD

Hi there,

Most hire companies usually say to cruise only between 8.00am and 8.00pm, or from dawn to dusk.

In practice, when we're cruising, we tend to carry on until the light goes, which can be anything up to nine or ten in the evening, or when it gets too dark to see the bank to moor up!

JSD

Hi there,

there is no restriction on the movement of craft on canals. However hire companies will often insist their hirers only navigate during between sunrise and sunset - something to do with insurance.

In the good ol'days the fly boats and carriers often ran 24/7 to meet deadlines and transport perishable cargoes.

Len

Guest Ferret1959

Why have navigation lights then?

I know the Caledonion(sp) used to close about six but that was cos all the locks were manned and lock keeper finished work at six. :)

Went out on the bike last night and as the canal is part of the circuit I made a point of stopping at one of the locks for a mooch round. There was a sign that said that the locks were closed from 19.40 or sunset whichever was later.

Ah well, guess the canal carping is going to be tough!!!!

wolf.gif