Cowthorpe (River Nidd)

robisme

Hi, Never fished Cowthorpe yet...

Intent to in the comming weeks when the temp cools off a bit.

Barbel are the target, not a fish I've targeted before, been and had a look at the river, now to think of the best way to tackle it. ??

I'm told if I want Chub & Barble, it's stick float & caster, or halibut pellets on the bomb for the bigger barble !!

Anyone anything useful to add to this advice.....???

PS, not fishing light with match tactics either :)

thanks in advance

Rob

PS, what would you say a good barbel swim should have ? other than fish [wink]

Edited by robisme

Hi, Never fished Cowthorpe yet...

Intent to in the comming weeks when the temp cools off a bit.

Barbel are the target, not a fish I've targeted before, been and had a look at the river, now to think of the best way to tackle it. ??

I'm told if I want Chub & Barble, it's stick float & caster, or halibut pellets on the bomb for the bigger barble !!

Anyone anything useful to add to this advice.....???

PS, not fishing light with match tactics either :)

thanks in advance

Rob

Hi robisme, You don't say but I'm assuming that it's the Bradford No1 water your fishing.

It's been a couple of years now, but we used to wade below the weir, and cast up under the sill with cheese or meat, on a swan shot leger, if you cast near the sill you wont need a lot of weight because the under current will take your bait upstream. Another spot is about 100yds below the footbridge, the river bends to the right and the flow runs on the other bank, wading about a third of the way and trotting the deeper water was the most productive, or you can leger across from the bank, again we found cheese, meat and maggot/caster the most productive. All the swims at the middle entry hold barbel and chub at most times, but they may be in isolated shoals in this weather, look for shady glides under the willows, if you use worm don't be surprised to latch on to a perch or two, they run to a couple of pounds. I don't know much about the entry near the dog kennels, having only fished it a couple of times. Hope this is of some help.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi, thanks gozzer, yes it's Bradford No1, useful info, appreciated, the dog kennels was the area I was thinking of trying,, want to break my barble duck, it's practically the only one I've never caught in course fish.

cya

Hi, thanks gozzer, yes it's Bradford No1, useful info, appreciated, the dog kennels was the area I was thinking of trying,, want to break my barble duck, it's practically the only one I've never caught in course fish.

cya

Hi Robisme,

I fished it last sunday, about 500 yards below wier (peg 24). I had a good perch 1lb and some bits, no barbel or big chub. My son lost a couple of barbel in peg 26 (over hanging willow peg). I had a barbel and lost 2 off in the last match in peg 24. Peg 30 next to the car park, in the shallows produced the winner in the last match. 32lb of barbel on caster, with about the same lost off!!! For bigger barbel try down at the dog kennels length. Peg 64 is the top peg. I used maggot feeder to catch to 8lb 2oz.

regards. Spen Beck

P.S. Don't forget to try Thornton Bridge on the Swale (Bfd No.1) for big barbel!!! double figures!!!!

P.P.S Don't forget to use strong tackle!!

Hi, thanks for that SpenBeck :), I might even know you or know your name.

I'm from the same area, fished with Spen many years ago 80s. maybe another surprise, like I bumped into a guy I went to Ireland with on a fishing hol from the spen club 25yrs ago. I was just out checking the form on the calder on sun, saw a few good anglers too :)

cya

PS thanks for the advice

Hi, thanks for that SpenBeck :), I might even know you or know your name.

I'm from the same area, fished with Spen many years ago 80s. maybe another surprise, like I bumped into a guy I went to Ireland with on a fishing hol from the spen club 25yrs ago. I was just out checking the form on the calder on sun, saw a few good anglers too :)

cya

PS thanks for the advice

Hi Robisme,

My name is Ian Bradley, I used to fish the Spenborough waters in the late 70's and early 80's. In fact, I used to go on their matches by coach. Then I joined the Bradford No.1 (I was on a waiting list for 2 years to get in!). I still live in Liversedge, so fish the calder quite alot. I'm also a member of the Earlsheaton Charity Anglers. They have a stretch down Raventhorpe which is still quite good for coarse fish. I think the calder (llike most rivers) needs a bit of rain and cooler temperatures. Regarding the Nidd at Cowthorpe. It is a little patchy at the moment. But for barbel, I would go down the dog kennel in the mid afternoon and fish till dusk. Remember to take your members book as it gets patrolled daily.

Regards SpenBeck

P.S. I won't be able to reply for a week now, as I'm going on holiday to Falmouth - to catch mackeral and garfish!

• 3 weeks later...
HI, At last I got my first barbel, first chuck-in yesterday on the Nidd, 8lb 6oz not a bad start to barbel fishing.

Boy did it pull a bit :)

cya

Well done. Beats my best from there 8lb 2oz.

Where did you finally fish? Dog Kennels?

Regards, SpenBeck

HI, At last I got my first barbel, first chuck-in yesterday on the Nidd, 8lb 6oz not a bad start to barbel fishing.

Boy did it pull a bit :)

cya

Well done mate. :thumbs: Lovely stretch of river, a good fish, what more could anyone want? :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John