Spinning

petera

A new game forum would, in my opinion, do more harm than good.

Perhaps you are right, and I can see the value in the widened discourse which you suggest.

maybe I get a little 'irked' at those fly fishers who seem to suggest that theirs is the 'only' game angling. I will get over myself :rolleyes:

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fish the Goyt, Etherow and Tame a bit when I lived over that way. They were "improving" rivers at the time, I bet they're cracking waters now. Mixed fisheries, though, and more coarse than trout.

petera, any particular reason for wanting to spin for them?

None at all apart from this masochistic urge to lose expensive spinners to damm snags !

No really I just enjoy spinning.......

However after this evening Ive decided to go float and maggot for a while the river is just to full of snags

OK, I quite understand that urge, and I've lost plenty of spinners fishing for chub and perch on the Thames! I was going to say that bait is more likely to be successful, if allowed, but don't give up on the spinning idea.

I was going to say that bait is more likely to be successful, if allowed, but don't give up on the spinning idea.

Spinning for brownies, at the back end of the season, has always been far more successful for me than baits.

Why? I don't know....

It might be because the trout are more aggressive/territorial near spawning time? Or maybe instincts telling them to put on weight for winter - ie going for the bigger bait?

Edited by ooarr_not_a_maggot

Spinning for brownies, at the back end of the season, has always been far more successful for me than baits.

For me too, but perhaps that is because I used to do more spining at that time of year targetting sea trout. (spinning by day if enough water in the beck, and fly by night).

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

None at all apart from this masochistic urge to lose expensive spinners to damm snags !

I can suggest some lure styles, including some spinners, that rarely snag and some effective ones that are not pricey but I'm not sure how many can be sourced in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can suggest some lure styles, including some spinners, that rarely snag and some effective ones that are not pricey but I'm not sure how many can be sourced in the UK.

I looked in your e bay. I have a couple of Storm 'Kickin' Minnows amongst my lures. They have a very realistic action, the only criticism of that pattern I have is that prehaps they look too 'healty', they dont swim like an injured fish when they are retrieved steadily. I have caught on them when cast into the right places and given lots of tip action. The 'rattlin' Rapalas are a good regular too, but I must admit to not fishing them often or with confidence in the river for trout, maybe I should? I set great confidence in, in line bladed spinners (Mepp, Fox) for river trout spining and for stillwater predators too.

Show us the ones which you suggest.

Edited by Emma two

I've found that brownies can be a nuisance when trotting maggots for coarse fish.

I most be so 'old school' that I can't imagine wanting to catch coarse fish when there are Brown Trout to be had. It's not an issue on my local river, thee are no coarse fish, other than Eels, Minnows and Stone Loach present. (do Stiklebacks count as 'coarse fish'?)