coincidence

Ian Burrett

One of the arguments that some SFCs came up with against protecting tope in their waters were that the fish were 'highly migratory'.

There understanding seemed to be that tope only passed through their waters, never to be seen again.

They didn't seem to understand that the tope that were out there at certain times, were the same fish that swim there every year, albeit they go on long journies in the meantime.

Lose those tope and you have lost 'your' tope.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

One of the arguments that some SFCs came up with against protecting tope in their waters were that the fish were 'highly migratory'.

There understanding seemed to be that tope only passed through their waters, never to be seen again.

They didn't seem to understand that the tope that were out there at certain times, were the same fish that swim there every year, albeit they go on long journies in the meantime.

Lose those tope and you have lost 'your' tope.

So why spend time and effort on stopping English fishermen landing the odd by catch fish and do nothing about French longliners who target tope in the same waters?

So why spend time and effort on stopping English fishermen landing the odd by catch fish and do nothing about French longliners who target tope in the same waters?

Hi Mikec

Nigel Proctor (the doc) is writing a paper for the Eu commission, and Defra have indicated they will be presenting a case to the cfp if option 2 or 3 is adopted

Regards the odd fish you suggest, we have had a tope longliner working the area for over a fortnight now. I have heard the longliners are also mopping up the few remaining Spurdog in Wales after a minor recovery, whoes to say they won't turn on the tope

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I caught my first ever tagged tope a fortnight ago and just found out it was one I tagged four years ago on the same mark. Shows what a creature of habit fish are, as it has probably been to the bay of Biscay four times since then.

So Ian this is the first tagged tope you have ever caught, what does that say about the survival rate of catch and release?

This is a genuine concern of mine and a point which should be addressed.

"I fish therefore I am"

So Ian this is the first tagged tope you have ever caught, what does that say about the survival rate of catch and release?

This is a genuine concern of mine and a point which should be addressed.

:clap2: Of the percentage of tope that are tagged I would have thought that to get a tagged one was quite an achievement. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 5 2006, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:clap2: Of the percentage of tope that are tagged I would have thought that to get a tagged one was quite an achievement. :clap2:

Thank you Norm B. What is the percentage of tope that are tagged?

:clap2: Minimal by my experience. There are a few tagged by various bodies but I've only ever tagged 2 tope and I've caught hundreds. So if Ian has caught a tagged one he's done well. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 5 2006, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thank you Norm B. What is the percentage of tope that are tagged?

Hi Captain Sensible

You ought to email Ken Collins at the UK shark tagging with your questions. There is an accepted recovery rate of tags. I haven't clue what that is. It was thought that the thin nylon tags we were using were probably falling out and we have been on a heavier steel version for a few years. The majority of recovereed tags are submitted by commercials. There has only been around between 3000-4000 tagged tope since the scheme started so the chance of recatching one has to be very small.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk