fish on fish off part 2

mousey

Mousey?

What lures are we talking about? I`m guessing rapalas or such? Don`t rely on the trebles grabbing or foul-hooking bass or any other species. Keep retrieving until the fish actually decides to `EAT` the lure. Don`t even strike then, just speed up the retrieve a tad. The fish will then have a make or break decision!! Either hang on and get hooked (though he thinks he`s in for a meal) or decide to leave alone?

Most lures are designed to offer an easy meal? I.E. an injured fish. If they suddenly swim off at 100mph when prodded. It`s no wonder you`re missing bites? They`re not bites at all! Just an inquisitory nibble.

Same goes for all jellies? On retrieve, always let your clutch give line instead of trying to strike. Most fish will have a second go at victims that don`t put up too much of a struggle?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

cheers spasor.I have been using an abu terminator not jointed ,also a creamy coloured surface popper whitch seems to be the better of the two.how often should i change trebles i think they might be blunt,also will the same fish grab the lure on another cast or is it another fish ?.

thanks for the tips

mousey

Poppers are notorious for missed takes and bouncing fish off. A few things I have done to maximise my chances is to use a stiffer rod and change to braid. When the popper is hit I don't strike but make sure the fish has the lure by watching the line. If the line skips along the surface then I hit the bugger hard. :)

The same fish will make numerous grabs at the same lure, even if it has been hooked momentarily.

Singy

Paul Singleton

Try this.

Hold a lure firmly in your hand, give your rod to mate and ask him to strike 'hard'!

Now reverse rolls!

Now, try to pull the hook on your lure through a piece of chamois leather!

Now, flatten the barbs with a pair of pliers, and sharpen the hooks on the lure until they are sharp enough to dig in/scratch your fingenails, instead of just sliding across them.

Try pulling them through a piece of chamois now.

Now go back to fishing with really sharp hooks, and don't worry about striking :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon??

Hold my lure in hand whilst a mate gives it a good pull?

I can only just manage to pull a hook out when its my own fault!! If someone else is pulling the line? I`m likely to get a tad infuriated!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!