Air Rifle

Dan

After much umming and arring I bought a secondhand Cometa 300 air rifle with Tasco scope for £60, Which I recon was pretty good, it works fine but the trigger pressure is a little high, anyone know if its possible to reduce it?

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

For 60 quid I doubt it ! You might be able to do it by opening up the gun either trimming the mechanism or changing the trigger spring. All that said I haven't a clue and have never done it. All my guns have adjustable triggers and for them I just have to read the manual.

Rob.

The 400 has an adjustable trigger but not this one, the squeeze is just enogh to be anoying and make me move a little, its a good gun tho 11-12 ft lbs and seem accurate enough. The rat in my mothers garden should be feeling worried!

Not the same as my old BSA but it seems well made

dan

I had a BSA until my son confiscated it :( encouraged me to buy a better rifle (pcp) am I glad he's got me gun? :) Make sure your power aint over the limit Dan, or else. :huh:

It says it isnt in the advert blurb, how do I check?

Dan

Gun shop and cronograph.

Do gun shops still exist?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest Ferret1959
Do gun shops still exist?

Some do, this is the one I use.

Shooting & Fishing Centre

34 Nottingham Road

Loughborough

Leicestershire LE11 1EU

Tel: (01509) 230627

Member of: Gun Trade Association

Dealer in air weapons, supplier of clays, cartridges, dog training equipment, knives and accessories, and gun repair

Guest Ferret1959

Worth a read.

Air weapons

Airguns, air rifles and air pistols are not required to be held on a Firearm Certificate unless they are of a type declared especially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules, 1969.

It is possible to measure the velocity of pellet discharges, to a satisfactory degree of accuracy, by use of an electronic chronograph. These measurements allow the calculation of the kinetic energy of the pellet, at the muzzle.

The rules state that any air weapon is especially dangerous, which is capable of discharging a missile with kinetic energy in excess of:

* 6ft/lbs (air pistol) or

* 12ft/lbs (an air weapon other than an air pistol).

Air weapons, exceeding these prescribed limits can only be lawfully held on a Firearm Certificate and are subject to all the rules and regulations pertaining to all Section 1 firearms, although the 'ammunition' (pellets) are not.

An air pistol over 6ft/lbs is a Section 5 prohibited weapon and therefore cannot be placed on a firearms certificate.

Conventional air weapons not required to be held on firearms certificate are still subject to other legislation, particularly age restrictions.

Under 14 years of age

It is an offence to give an air weapon, or ammunition for an air weapon, to a person under 14 years of age. It is not an offence for that young person to receive it. It is an offence for a person under 14 years of age to be in possession of an air weapon, or ammunition for it, except:

* as a member of an approved shooting club for target shooting;

* whilst at a shooting gallery where only air weapons or miniature rifles not exceeding .23 calibre are used;

* whilst shooting under the supervision of a person aged 21 years or over, on private premises, including land, provided the missile is not fired beyond those premises.

This effectively means that a person under 14 years of age must be supervised by someone over the age of 21 years at all times, even within their own home and garden. If a pellet is fired beyond their own property boundaries, the child and adult both commit offences.

Under 17 years of age

It is an offence for a person under 17 years of age to have an air weapon with them in a public place, except:

* as a member of an approved club for target shooting;

* whilst at a shooting gallery where only air weapons or miniature rifles not exceeding .23 calibre are used;

It is an offence for a person under 17 years of age to be in possession of an air pistol in any public place except as described above.

A public place means any highway or place or premises to which, at the material time, the public may have, or are permitted to have, access, whether on payment or otherwise. You may not have an airgun in a public place without proper reason. An airgun is deemed as loaded if there is a pellet, dart or anything else in the gun or magazine whether cocked or not.

It is also an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of a highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Taken from http://www.leics.police.uk/departments/10_...26_air_weapons/

Gun shop and cronograph.

A gun shop is only any good if it has a range or somewhere safe to fire said gun and check it - and to work out the muzzle energy you need to weigh each pellet on very accurate scales. To be honest don't worry about it. The advertising blurb says 11-12 ft/lb so it's highly unlikely to be above that. You are also extremely unlikely to ever get it checked by the police unless you actually commit a crime with it. I have a chrono at home which I have used to check out my air pistols but for consistency and optimal power since the guns have a simple screw adjustment to increase or decrease the power.

Rob.