west sussex report

luffers

Hi All,

Well I had a week off this week and unfortunately not for fishing :-(((

Monday afternoon I had my first serious session out to Bognor rocks! I have lived at Bognor for 20 years and this was the first time I have taken a boat out to them and it was quite something to see in the clear water!! Closest I came to catching something was a herring gull that followed me around and attacking my plugs!!!

The wind then went south (the worst direction for me) and I tried on Wednesday night but conditions were just too rough and I chicken out and came back after 40 minutes!

As the wind got stronger I decided to withdraw to Chichester harbour Friday afternoon and the FPO and I went out in our p13`s to a banker schoolie bass mark and we caught between us 16 bass, best 3/4 of a pound. Thanks Neil ! we used the anchor rigs you advised and they worked a treat!! I have made just one change, because we will be fishing mostly off the rocks I have decided on a ball-chain anchor and it worked a treat!

This morning Sunday we got up early and went to another mark in the harbour as the wind had increased and this time it was a lot deeper and still the ball-anchors worked a treat! We caught bream, 1 corkwing and ballen wrasse and the FPO had a 1,1\2lbs bass!

Must say I am impressed with the yaks!! And am looking forward to getting back out to the rocks and doing some bottom fishing!!

regards

Luffers

Nice report Luffers. Sounds like you had a good time.

I'm taking a wild guess here but is a ball chain anchor, a heavy ball attached to some chain :yeah: I'd like to try one of these.

Where did you find the ball and how much does it weigh?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'm taking a wild guess here but is a ball chain anchor, a heavy ball attached to some chain :yeah: I'd like to try one of these.

Hi speciman,

No ! its a length of chain rolled up into a ball and liked together with cable tidys !!

Crude i know but i have used this type of anchor on my other boats for fishing over rough ground but more for drifting when you want to slow things down !.

On p13 my chain-ball weights about 4 lbs .

Where i hope to do most of my fishing the foldy type anchor is going to be a problem but the chain-ball will be fine :-)

I just connect it direct to my 4mm anchor warp and lazy line by a weak link !

regards

Luffers

Hi speciman,

No ! its a length of chain rolled up into a ball and liked together with cable tidys !!

Crude i know but i have used this type of anchor on my other boats for fishing over rough ground but more for drifting when you want to slow things down !.

On p13 my chain-ball weights about 4 lbs .

Where i hope to do most of my fishing the foldy type anchor is going to be a problem but the chain-ball will be fine :-)

I just connect it direct to my 4mm anchor warp and lazy line by a weak link !

regards

Luffers

Specimen - you're a whizz kid at these things. Can you find those pictures and link I put up about the self tripping anchor?

I had comparison pics of standard rig and the self tripping method. It would be worth putting it back up again I think.

The dragged anchor method is what they use over the banks for plaice and turbot - anchored, but not fully. It is done to slow the drift to about 1 knot, so a slow drift really. Also the anchor stirs the bottom and attracts fish - then your baits go through the same area a minute or so later when things have settled again....!

The chain in a ball can still get stuck in rocks and with a weak link you run the risk of losing your anchor. The self tripping set-up will even come out if you go under a cable or pot line.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon - sadly those images are no more. I think you uploaded them to the free go-fishing.org image hosting service which was used by many here some time ago. This service was pulled and so were the images which went with it.

The thread is still there though

I tried using the Internet Wayback Machine which makes a chronological backup of websites for archive purposes. Sadly no thread or images there either.

If you still have the orginal images on your pc can you email me them; I'll resize, upload them to some personal webspace and add them back to the thread.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

ball chain anchor

ingenious :)

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Specimen - yes I still have the pictures in the folder. I will send them to you and I think it is probably best if I re-write the instructions. Maybe they could be incorporated in one of the permenent things somewhere - David, any good for AA?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo