Rust in fishfinder wires?

Grant

So managed to go out this weekend (charter boat cancelled due to weather), and when I ckecked my kayak, the wire to the fishfinder had some corrosion on it. All seemed to work at sea, but obviously a bit concerned.

Has anyone else had this?

I do remove the fishfinder when transporting the yak, and it lies suspended upside down in storage. The pins on the fishfinder seem to be bronzed in colour (it is an Eagle Lowrance), and do not seem to have suffered.

B.A.S.S. member

So managed to go out this weekend (charter boat cancelled due to weather), and when I ckecked my kayak, the wire to the fishfinder had some corrosion on it. All seemed to work at sea, but obviously a bit concerned.

Has anyone else had this?

I do remove the fishfinder when transporting the yak, and it lies suspended upside down in storage. The pins on the fishfinder seem to be bronzed in colour (it is an Eagle Lowrance), and do not seem to have suffered.

Hi Grant

which part of the cable seems to have corrosion on it? Is it the conector? if so ensure its well cleaned out after use salt water is the worlds worst corrosive wash everything down with fresh water after use. It should not affect the operation of the unit unless its really bad, it can form a varnish type residue layer that will over time affect the conections and could give you trouble if not kept an eye on. quick spray with wd40 will help and give it a slight clean with an old tooth brush to ensure no salt is still in their. If you want me to pop round to check it out no problem just give me a shout.

It is in the connector Somerset- was kind of hoping you might read this! Will have a go with a toothbrush tonight.

Did put Wd in now (better late than never!), but was worried it could short something.

Did you guys manage to get out?

B.A.S.S. member

It is in the connector Somerset- was kind of hoping you might read this! Will have a go with a toothbrush tonight.

Did put Wd in now (better late than never!), but was worried it could short something.

Did you guys manage to get out?

Not yet, been a bit on the busy side, but we all must have a bash soon.

When at sea , do you turn unit off sometimes , to conserve battery life, say when your in your desired location. If so have you fitted a seperate on/off switch, and don't just turn it off , by it's own switch, cos this can cause electrolosis in the connector. If you don't I'll get me coat :(

I always turn my off at the fishfinder, tell me more about this electrolosis :huh:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I always turn my off at the fishfinder, tell me more about this electrolosis :huh:

Oh goodie a nice subject.

Yak Diver i would have thought from your name you would understand this principle, its used a lot on another thing that dives. Nuclear submarines etc. by passing an electric current through the water or salt water via a cathode and anode, you find that each element atracts a certain ion from the water or element submersed in. In the case of water this creates oxygen around the anode and hydrogen around the cathode. pipe the oxygen into tanks and hear we go can breath a lot longer so can stay down as long as you have power (nuclear) and plenty of anodes and cathodes.

Ok the battery quandry this should only occur if the terminals are wet or the battery is fully submersed, as follows for electorlosys to occur you need a flowing current, if turned of at the device the positive line is severed so the electron flow is turned of theirfore no electrolosys. but if on and submersed or wet then electrolosys is possible, the colour of the deposited residue on the terminals will be consistant with the nature of the element in contact with it, either nickle, coper or zinc, all producing their relevant oxides similarf to rust on iron.

fairly simple really. but nothing to be realy worried about if you have protected you equipment fully. spraying your battery terminals with something like varnish will help prevent this occuring.

Ok the battery quandry this should only occur

if the terminals are wet or the battery is fully submersed

seeing that my battery never gets wet or damp for that matter

it should have not happened, but thanks anyway

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?