Brazil nuts for carp

Anderoo

Julian, I'm not sure that the appeal of brazils lies in their white colour; I've tried cubes of coconut flesh, and found it/them to be completely ineffective.

Hi Jim,

I’m not suggesting that it’s solely the colour that makes them effective. Truth be told I don’t know what it is that makes them a great carp bait, but I do think their colour when combined with other ‘qualities’ makes them more attractive. I found that by scraping all the brown covering off them to leave them bright white gave me much better results – whether this in turn allowed a greater oil release or not I don’t know?

I spent quite a bit of time trying to gauge how or what made them so effective in order to try and adapt it to other approaches, but to be honest I never really got anywhere. With them being quite low in terms of nutrition I worked on the theory that it had to be the natural oil content and even went so far as to get a refining company to make me up a 100% natural Brazil oil extract - but it hardly set the world alight in terms of effectiveness.

I see what you are saying about the coconut experiment but you could just as easily say that some carp don’t like coconut flavour – I know I don’t!

I guess to some degree colour has to have an effect(?), as I know several anglers who fish artificial non-flavoured white pop-up boilies with great success, and surely the only thing to attract the fish in this case is the visibility/colour of the bait?

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys. I'll give them a go. Peanuts are banned where I'm going, so I can't use them. Boilies have been hammered on there are the carp rarely slip up to one now, and everyone else seems to fish little bags of pellet and fish fake maize on the hair, so I want to do something different. The lake is very rich and heaving with natural food, so on the other rod will be a big juicy lob. I'll let you know how I get on :)

On a commercial fishery near me, I have seen great results on Cockles. If you have a Farmfoods near you they sell them in handy bags. Apparently these are better than high grade Cockles from elsewhere!