Brazil nuts for carp

Anderoo

I'm looking for a good alternative to boilies for a lake where boilies are pretty much useless. I've never used brazils, but I've heard good things about them. Anyone had much success with them?

I'm just planning on fishing single hookbaits with maybe a little hemp and chopped nut sprinkled around in the margin.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a good alternative to boilies for a lake where boilies are pretty much useless. I've never used brazils, but I've heard good things about them. Anyone had much success with them?

I'm just planning on fishing single hookbaits with maybe a little hemp and chopped nut sprinkled around in the margin.

I've used Brazils, & to be honest I didn't think they were as good as Peanuts or Tigers.

The one thing I could say for them is they can be very selective on a size of bait basis, which obviously other particles sometimes struggle to be.

They were a pain to soften off to how I wanted them, eventually it reached the point where I used them soaked but unboiled & didn't notice any difference in effectiveness.

If other species aren't a big problem, I would look towards Mussels, Cockles, Prawns etc. These are baits that can really do the biz, but everything else loves them as well so that has to be taken into account.

Is anybody else using Peanuts or Tigers on your lake? they have become a very underused bait nowadays.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Andy, they can be devastating where the fish take them. Don't seem to work on all lakes, but when they do they are very very good :

Use raw, fire a few pouch fulls of broken (halves) and fish among them.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

hi peter, what do you mean by tigers, are you talking prawns or something else.

s_mac

I think Peter is referirng to tiger nuts which have proved to be a superb bait for carp at the venues where I have used them.

Alan.

I think Peter is referirng to tiger nuts which have proved to be a superb bait for carp at the venues where I have used them.

Alan.

shame, i can get my hands on loads of tiger prawns lol, anyway, while on the subject, are they any good, has anyone tried them. (tiger prawns i mean)

woman want me, fish fear me

shame, i can get my hands on loads of tiger prawns lol, anyway, while on the subject, are they any good, has anyone tried them. (tiger prawns i mean)

I've used Prawns quite a lot, mainly in short sessions & fishing close in. They're very good, but again they are completely non-selective & no matter how big a bait you put on smaller fish will hammer it, even if they can't get it into their mouths. Not used Tiger prawns, but I can't see why they shouldn't be just as effective.

I mentioned Mussels in my first post, they are top of the list for me, even better than prawns.

Alans quite right, Tiger nuts were what I was referring to. Cheaper than Tiger prawns as well!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I would go with Den.Ive found them good on some waters and totally useless on others. They are quite high in oil and I like to boil them to try and release this a bit.One mate used to very gently roast them in an oven.

Can be quite expensive but like all nuts this seems to vary due to the sucsess of each preceeding years crop.

Hazelnuts are another very under used nut bait.Ive (once again) done well on some waters but not on others.Best results Ive had Ive used them as a hook bait over maples.They float naturally so if yo dont want to fish them popped up or put a few out for loose feed you need to make sure you keep them submerged whilst soaking them for 24hrs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers guys. I'll give them a go. Peanuts are banned where I'm going, so I can't use them. Boilies have been hammered on there are the carp rarely slip up to one now, and everyone else seems to fish little bags of pellet and fish fake maize on the hair, so I want to do something different. The lake is very rich and heaving with natural food, so on the other rod will be a big juicy lob. I'll let you know how I get on :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers guys. I'll give them a go. Peanuts are banned where I'm going, so I can't use them. Boilies have been hammered on there are the carp rarely slip up to one now, and everyone else seems to fish little bags of pellet and fish fake maize on the hair, so I want to do something different. The lake is very rich and heaving with natural food, so on the other rod will be a big juicy lob. I'll let you know how I get on :)

How did you get on, any luck with the brazils.

Andy