Whoose job is it ?

glennk

Quote wurzel.

I don't see the point in a close season during the optimal spawning period, no matter when you catch a large cod it won't spawn again, and I am not sure whether it is possible to catch cod while they are in the act of spawning, I don't know of any large spawning aggregations of cod, unlike herring. In this area Cod start to have decent roes in them around November by January they are fit to burst, they disappear and come back in March empty, the same applied when I worked from Whitby, so if you banned cod fishing during January and February, Just who would you be protecting the cod from?

Bravo, well said that man.

Regards.

:blink: ?????????????? :blink:

You've completely lost me there challenge

I thought I was responding to Wurzel's post (above) and your agreement of his principals. I've had a good look but at no point does it say anything about bag limits, neither do I condemn John and Michelle's business and activities (which I've participated in over the last 3 or 4 years (60hr trips)).

Your agreement of Wurzel's dislike of any conservation measures that reduces commercial exploitation at an important reproductive phase is somewhat confusing. I can understand Wurzel's point because his issue is loss of income. John's season is apparently March to November, so there would be no financial impact from a 6 week moratorium on cod during January and February.

The phrase antiquated live for today brigade relates to those within the exploitative sector(s) who fight and oppose conservation measures on the grounds that they MAY be impacted financially for a short period somewhere down the line, without fully understanding the principal of no pain no gain. Its very easy to make bold statements without understanding the problems and long term impacts (cause and effect).

There are many who persist in the view that a number of important fish stocks are not in a poor state (notice I said poor state and not in decline Wurzel) and that all is relatively rosy in the garden. Others maintain that this poor state is not due to overfishing but as a result of environmental factors (GLOBAL WARMING etc.). The point is that there are far too many in denial and this extenuates the problem, by not addressing the important issues now we are simply reducing the potential to redress the balance in years to come. The rejuvenation of fisheries and resources is not going to happen overnight, it took many years to deplete the resources, its going to take twice as long to recover them, but to ignore the problem is tantamount to madness. At present we are at the very best, for most of the major stocks (one or two excepted) treading water, not making any significant headway in either direction. Unless further measures (radical if that is what is needed) are put in place we'll still be in the same place in 10 years time, with an ever declining commercial sector and a recreational sector that cannot achieve its full potential.

Quoting Challenge "What I will not stand bye and let happen is for one fishery in one part of the world dictate what all anglers must do".
When you talk about the 'world' what do you mean? India, SE Asia, the Pacific, or are you talking about regional/national or EU wide dictation of measures. If you fish as far field as your trips indicate then any such measures would need to be on a North Sea basis to be valid, and for cod that makes sense, so what are these measures that are being implemented from another part of the world? I haven't heard about them.

Quoting Challenge "We have different views on why there is not the fish today that there was a few years ago".

Well what are they then? Don't leave us all in suspenders

Quoting Challenge "If that is an antiquated live for today sector then so be it."

Completely taken out of context and bares no resemblance to the principal points made in response to Wurzel's original post and your endorsement of his views, in which I reiterate my point, that such a view is based on short term financial deficit (antiquated live for today sector), what is your excuse?

Cheers

Doc.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge

Doc .

To start with I don’t need to make any excuses.

Second if you have not seen or read the differences of opinion that we have had and the reasons for that opinion then I can only assume you are blind?

I to can say “completely taken out of context” but why bother?

What part of my bravo well said that man did you not like doc?

What part of bravo well said that man did you think was applying to anything wurzel had said about your statement?

You where making opinions about me doc.

Doc .

To start with I don’t need to make any excuses.

Second if you have not seen or read the differences of opinion that we have had and the reasons for that opinion then I can only assume you are blind?

I to can say “completely taken out of context” but why bother?

What part of my bravo well said that man did you not like doc?

What part of bravo well said that man did you think was applying to anything wurzel had said about your statement?

You where making opinions about me doc.

:wallbash: yeah what ever :wallbash:

Guest challenge
:wallbash: yeah what ever :wallbash:

Using your cartoons as an inspiration is more than a challenge to me doc.

I have never thought about competing with a cartoon. But then again I suppose that doing cartoons is a good way of pretending to get your point across.

Doc you’ve got to have confrontation to have collaboration. Taking things personal and banging your head (or in this case a cartoons head) against a brick wall won’t make it any easier.

Regards.

Hello Doc

Your agreement of Wurzel's dislike of any conservation measures that reduces commercial exploitation at an important reproductive phase is somewhat confusing. I can understand Wurzel's point because his issue is loss of income. John's season is apparently March to November, so there would be no financial impact from a 6 week moratorium on cod during January and February

The reason I dislike your conservation measures is because I don’t think they will have very little if any effect. Nothing to do with loss of income ,I have not targeted cod at that time of year for years, when I did we never caught much through January or February, as I said the large cod disappeare at that time, this seems to be the case all a long the east coast , leaving just the smaller non breeders, fishing for them is hampered by snow melt water , bad weather or they are off bottom chasing sprats , things don’t settle down until March, this is much the same for all boats operating from Whitby down to Ramsgate , the area of my experience, Perhaps it’s different for the bigger boats from Peter Head.

My point is what’s the point if we don’t catch them any way? You would have to stop fishing Cod say from October to January to get the results you are looking for, but no matter what sort of fishing we do, be it soles, ray or bass we catch a certain amount of large cod at that time, we would end up dumping 20lb cod and roe over the side, again no point.

If you want a conservation measure that might do some thing worth while, try a much bigger landing size,

(MLS) At least double it, any thing else is just fluffing around (so long as it includes Europe)

I doubt it would happen again, the boats aren’t there now, but I think there was massive waste full fishing in the past , I remember confirmed reports of huge catches of very small codlings during the early 80’s with large amounts of discards, to us long liners further south it seemed such a waste . Whether it makes that much difference to the over all situation I’m not sure but it did not help.

Does Big Cod really believe all the codling in the North Sea congregate on the Whitby Herring spawn?

And the few boats fishing there will kill them all?

But I agree they should be using at least 120 if not 140 mm cod ends.

But if they were, they should not be on limited days at sea .Can’t have it both ways.

I fish to live and live to fish.