heres my tip for fixing paste /meat to A hair

Tenchbloke

Hi Ladies and gents

hope this idea may help you all keep that cube of L meat or yummy paste in place when useing a hair rig

needs a little refinement but early days

i devised this one about 3 days ago on the side of te lake i was fishing aftre getting a little frustrated at losing my baits continuously

line cutting is the main problem i find useing meat baits and doesnt take long for the line to cheesecut across the bait,especially on retrieval or when u hit a snag.

take some 1/8" stiff silicon tube(thats approx)....its got to be the stiff type with very little flex

cut this about 1/4 inch oversize to the bait

Push a baiting needle thru the very tip of the s tube at one end

Pull tube through the bait with the needle nice and slow useing fingers to keep the tube entering at right angles(if you dont do this the tube will enter at angle and will split the luncheon meat as you pull through,

If your to quick on pulling the same can happen!!)

line up the hook end of the tube with the bait so its flush with bait and then snip of the top of the tube at the Baiting needle end to remove the needle leaveing just a little excess (to attach the Boily stop)

now you have a nice stiff tube through the meat which you can pull through the hair ,the hair cannot cut the meat and the tube has a massive surface area gripping the meat /paste bait relative to a hair effectively stoping the cheesecutting action

when hair is pulled through then attach you bait stops across the tube so it rests on the top of the excess and apply some superglue help secure it against silicon,push the tube with boily stop flush flush and trim other end to flush fit again

Ive found this method very good enabling me to get multiple recasts from the same cube of meat and paste and even on failed strikes you find the meat will useally still be in place

My main issues that im still hopeing to resolve is how to keep the silicon tube in place if their is a failure as occasionally when you DO lose the bait the tube will fall off something i dont want to happen as im not into polluting either fish or lake beds with bits of silicon!!.the superglue helps but is not perfect!.Things im going to try are :-

cut a V grove in the top of the silicon next time to help bed the baitstop against it with the glue to give a better fix (not easy for chubby fingers like mine!!)

find a plastic male ledgerstop of the right diameter to push into the tube once hair s threaded at the baitstop end again to prevent loss of the tube

Anyway early days!!!

have fun hope it helps! :sun:

hehehehe obviously not much of an idea judging by the responce ,guess your all seasoned veterans.

Any way for me a new convert to the hair rig game it at least got me thinking!!

So For all the new uns to the sport haveing spent yesterday useing the method ,i found that to keep the tube locked to the hair so that strikes do not remove it if u lose bait,simply get a boily stop whose thickness is larger than the tube diameter!!!

Hey never said i was clever :blink:

pulled in 2 carp both over 10 pounds on sunday and a Tench so i was happy and only used 5 cubes in 6 hrs float ledgering

saves on the spam!!! :)

might be a totaly useless point but i rebait everycast with both paste and meat so it the scent trail is fresh rather than washed out. usint the bits that come off as loose feed.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

It's a novel idea Tenchbloke. :)

Personally, I find that meat stays better on a hair rig when it's anchored with a small piece of dry spaghetti as a stop.

Depends on how long you want to make a tin of meat last I suppose, I normally use what I need to kep the bait fresh and take home and freeze the remainder.

Our chief weapon is surprise

might be a totaly useless point but i rebait everycast with both paste and meat so it the scent trail is fresh rather than washed out. usint the bits that come off as loose feed.

Good point m8,i try and cover that by dipping the cube or paste in the liguid from the loosefeed i use ,normally hempseed and tutti frutti flavoured crushed sweetcorn.Sometime i will wipe it around the fatty deposits from ther baitbox carrying my Meat

really not sure how long the experts on this would want to keep a bait down before recasting ,mine tend to stay on the bottom probably 30-45mins or so before lack of a bite or even small fish nibbling make me feel a sence of paronoia that perhaps the cubes covered in weed or complely missing!!

maybe i should get used to fresh bait every recast :unsure:

It's a novel idea Tenchbloke. :)

Personally, I find that meat stays better on a hair rig when it's anchored with a small piece of dry spaghetti as a stop.

Depends on how long you want to make a tin of meat last I suppose, I normally use what I need to kep the bait fresh and take home and freeze the remainder.

Ta m8 ..one of the main reasons i came up with this is because i will sometimmes recast 2/3 times to get the meat in the right place above my loose feed area.Ive never been the most accurate caster and though i do overcast and then pull into position ,i normally fish a water full of lilly pads and some bottom weed where 2-3 feet left or right and your baits lying on a pad waiting for a frog!! or pulling into position sometimes gets the bait covered in bottom weed,so in reality it helps me get new bait spot on by recasting without watching the bait sail off on my final attempt to get it right. :thumbs:

• 6 years later...
i know this is an oldie but i just seen it pop up somewhere on the forums. seen mick brown making a sort of screw out of copper wire and attaching it to a short hair and then screwing it in to the luncheon meat ;)

You can buy them in different sizes. I forget the name but I have some in a tacklebox. They work quite well for paste and soft pellets as well as meat

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

i know this is an oldie but i just seen it pop up somewhere on the forums. seen mick brown making a sort of screw out of copper wire and attaching it to a short hair and then screwing it in to the luncheon meat ;)

I also llke to use a home made wire screw with small bits of meat but I do use Tenchblokes method of tubing when using half a tin of meat for catfish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek