heavier tackle

xiqual fish

Hi

Most of the tackle i have is aimed at the lighter side of fishing and i was thinking of investing in some more heavy duty stuff. Is it possible to invest in just one lot of gear that would be suitable for Pike and Carp or do the needs of these type of fish differ too much?

Cheers

They don'y really need to differ much. A decent Carp rod, of about 2.5 Lb TC, will handle a lot of piking situations. I used my carp ropds for donkey's years, before I went and got some proper pike rods (from Woolworths, in about 1973). The only reason you need a heavier rod, is to be able to cast out a bigger bait. Pike rods in the 3lb + test curve range, are of a more "soft" action. By that, I mean they bend along their length more. Whereas a carp rod in the same test curve, will bend more at the tip. This is because with a pike rod, you may want to cast a heavy bait (5-6oz) without it breaking up or flying off the hook. With a 3lb carp rod, you'd use it to cast a small bait 3-4oz including weight) a long way.

If you're just starting pike fishing, I would really reccomend that you try and go oput with an old hand once or twice, so that you can learn a bit about handling, baiting and not being worried about the teeth. You'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Almost all of my deadbaiting rods are carp rods, with the exception of the Wychwood Power Pike. The other 5 are carp rods, so yes, you can use carp rods for Pike fishing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guess, mate 2 spools,one reel.5lb and 15 lb .actually had a 17lb pike on 6lb??? lucky though.

That was at Loch Maben about1968/9 ish :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

If you're just starting pike fishing, I would really reccomend that you try and go oput with an old hand once or twice, so that you can learn a bit about handling, baiting and not being worried about the teeth. You'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

I don't know any "old hands" so will probably be going it alone but i am getting as much education as i can from from various books and dvd's so i will have an idea what to expect however i know theory is never as good as experience.

I thought Dunks post summed it up perfectly.Try looking at the information on rigs,tactics and above all handleing here-

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/

Allthough there is plenty of info on the net and in books etc you really cant beat being shown by some one.I do a series of Pike teach-ins through out the country during the season. Closest to you Ive got is on the out skirts of Leeds or possibly Redditch in the Midlandsif this isnt to far you are more than welcome to come along to one of these.Drop me a PM and I will give you the details.There is no charge by the way.

However if you can get in with some piker nearer you it will not only be a way of learning long term but also a great way to find out about your local waters.

Forgot to mention that it might well be worth looking on the PAC site to see if there is a region local to you.Join that and they will look after you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!