Navigation Light

SpeciMan

I have got for mine one of those cheap nav lights that work on normal batteries. Most chandlers sell them and they work well and are waterproof.

They are actually sold as stand-by nav lights for if a boats nav lights flicker out for some reason and these things can be switched on. Great for kayaks and cheap.

Please bear in mind that regardless of the circumstance a kayak only needs to display an all round white light - BUT, displaying it does not mean you can fish - at anchor or underway but not under power (drifting) anywhere.

If you are in the shipping channel then the big ship coming is CONSTRAINED BY HER DRAUGHT and has right of way - even if you are at anchor and showing the correct lights. Get your hook up and get out of the way.

I wouldn't like to say how many small Japanese fishing vessels we ran over/swamped when I was at sea - they would fish in complete black out, then suddenly, 100 yards ahead of a 36,000 ton ship doing 15 knots, they would fire up a tilley lamp. I'm sorry guyts but do you know how long it takes for a ship to react to helm input? Do you know how log it takes to stop such a vessel - well, I'll give you some figures:

If you give a double ring (that is for a MANNED bridge and many ocean going ships are unmaned bridges but manned for the coast) from full ahead to full astern that 36,000 ton ship (a small one by todays standards) would take 3 miles to come to a stop. In reality you would likely break the crankshaft - 28,500hp going through it has a tremendous amount of torque. In which case the ship would finally lose headway in somethjing like 15 miles.

Slowing normally, you bring the ships engine down by 2 rpm at a time - 2rpm every couple of minutes - the supertankers heading for Immingham on the East coast start slowing in the Western Approaches (off Falmouth in reality).

You cannot expect them to get out of the way of a small vessel - regardless of the Rule of the Road - the Rules for the Prevention of Collisions At Sea - a small vessel gives way to a larger one, even when the small vessel is at anchor - if you are fishing in the shipping channel then by rights you have no business to be there. If you can, without hindering another vessel then that is fine - but if the QE2 needs to get alongside her berth - you had better make yourselves scarce. Lights or no lights.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Please bear in mind that regardless of the circumstance a kayak only needs to display an all round white light - BUT, displaying it does not mean you can fish - at anchor or underway but not under power (drifting) anywhere.

Kayaks come under the rules for SMALL VESSELS and so regardless of what you are doing you only need an all round, white as a visibility signal.

If you are in the shipping channel then the big ship coming is CONSTRAINED BY HER DRAUGHT and has right of way - even if you are at anchor and showing the correct lights. Get your hook up and get out of the way.

I wouldn't like to say how many small Japanese fishing vessels we ran over/swamped when I was at sea - they would fish in complete black out, then suddenly, 100 yards ahead of a 36,000 ton ship doing 15 knots, they would fire up a tilley lamp. I'm sorry guyts but do you know how long it takes for a ship to react to helm input? Do you know how log it takes to stop such a vessel - well, I'll give you some figures:

If you give a double ring (that is for a MANNED bridge and many ocean going ships are unmaned bridges but manned for the coast) from full ahead to full astern that 36,000 ton ship (a small one by todays standards) would take 3 miles to come to a stop. In reality you would likely break the crankshaft - 28,500hp going through it has a tremendous amount of torque. In which case the ship would finally lose headway in somethjing like 15 miles.

Slowing normally, you bring the ships engine down by 2 rpm at a time - 2rpm every couple of minutes - the supertankers heading for Immingham on the East coast start slowing in the Western Approaches (off Falmouth in reality).

You cannot expect them to get out of the way of a small vessel - regardless of the Rule of the Road - the Rules for the Prevention of Collisions At Sea - a small vessel gives way to a larger one, even when the small vessel is at anchor - if you are fishing in the shipping channel then by rights you have no business to be there. If you can, without hindering another vessel then that is fine - but if the QE2 needs to get alongside her berth - you had better make yourselves scarce. Lights or no lights.

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Kayaks come under the rules for SMALL VESSELS and so regardless of what you are doing you only need an all round, white as a visibility signal.

Simon, Hence my posts.

I have got for mine one of those cheap nav lights that work on normal batteries. Most chandlers sell them and they work well and are waterproof.

They are actually sold as stand-by nav lights for if a boats nav lights flicker out for some reason and these things can be switched on. Great for kayaks and cheap.

me too franc and they are perfectly adequate----there is a how to on ANGLERS AFLOAT website :thumbs:dscf0066ze7.th.jpg

I use rechargeable d cells with mine :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

richi ,you would have needed that new red light stash from the i o w , to been seen last time i saw you going out in the dark in that weather ,,,,,,,ps ime in disguise ,,,,tiz lucky ,,,,,,,,

hi Lucky and welcome to the madhouse---makes interesting reading here don't you think? :thumbs: hence the rechargeables! :oops::whistling:

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• 4 weeks later...
I'm working on a livewell/general container for my Scupper Pro at the moment and have made a navigation light pole which will attach to it.

I bought a clear navigation light from the chandlers but instead of buying one which came attached to a pole I found my own. I wanted one slimmer and something I might find easier to waterproof.

For the pole I bought a 1metre 6mm section of plastic tubing from Homebase. This tube fits neatly into the bottom of the base of the navigation light. I then used a demijohn bung from Wilkinsons which conveniently has a 6mm hole punched through it. This was attached to the top of the pole and stuck to the base of the navigation light using epoxy resin. The section of pole fed through the rubber bung was also stuck to the bung and the tip of the pole in the mastlight head was stuck down too.

I'm not convinced that the light from a standard bulb is that bright on these navigation lights. By using a cooler running, more efficient led navigation light from ultraleds.co.uk I was able to block the tiny ventilation holes which are in the navigation light head using epoxy resin and waterproof it. I've had the light running for sometime like this and have not noticed any heat build up :thumbs:

The top section of the pole and rubber bung is wrapped in SOLAS retroreflective tape. The distance between the rubber bung and second yellow tape is 45m - I now have a bass measuring stick should I decide to take one home with me. :yeah:

When the livewell is finished the mast light pole will attach to the rear of it via a waterproof socket. The rubber bung at the bottom of the pole will be removed and replaced with a socket.

Pics follow: the final pic shows the led mast light and a C-light together.. the light from a C-light is weedy to say the least.. I would not be happy using one of these.

Hi Speciman, please can you post the part number of the LED bulb

Cheers

Overrun

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47