are cod returning?

Guest challenge

Guest challenge
That may be the situation right now challenge but what about next year and the year after ? If more and more pots are put in by those diversifying from white fish then where does it end ?

Likely those members of the fishing communtiy who fished the fishery with small boats etc will be the first to feel the pinch. I havent a crystel ball but I wouldnt be surprised if a few of them are out of work in 5 years time and the big guys have monoploised the industry. Wether the current state of play is a succes or failure is debatable (as we have seen) but an industry monopolised by fat cats who drove out the small man will not be a sucess. I hope it doesnt happen but when you hear about the amount of pots stacked in a fish factory on the industrial estate you can see it taking shape.

There is not a single pot in the warehouse on the industrial estate that will be worked in side of 3 miles.

Bigger boats potting are restricted to where they can work for just that reason.

Arnold Lockers Mountain of pots will never catch darlicks lobsters.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not a single pot in the warehouse on the industrial estate that will be worked in side of 3 miles.

Bigger boats potting are restricted to where they can work for just that reason.

Arnold Lockers Mountain of pots will never catch darlicks lobsters.

Agreed, the bigger boats will want to work strings of 30+ pots, and you need a lot of room to do that. Having said that, my ex-next door neighbour works a total of 400 pots from his Island Plastics 23 inshore.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest challenge
Agreed, the bigger boats will want to work strings of 30+ pots, and you need a lot of room to do that. Having said that, my ex-next door neighbour works a total of 400 pots from his Island Plastics 23 inshore.

Hello toerag.

When I first went potting many years ago, it was in a keel boat working out of Whitby. She was about 50ft. we worked 5 handed (that’s the amount of men you needed to work a boat of that size with a capstan winch and no outside controls for the wheelhouse etc.) we worked 550 pots and had another 500 plus pots in the warehouse in case of loss ages etc.

We never worked all the pots on the inside grounds (where the smaller boats worked) because we could not get where the smaller boats worked and we could never get them shifted of in time if the weather came away on us.

The boat and gear in question (that has the mountain of pots in the warehouse) does work a lot of pots. They work a rotation principle so that every pot gets hauled at least once a week. The same boat also does a bit of trawling, as it is an ex 60ft trawler. I would expect it to have a good amount of pots in the warehouse at any one time.

They will most likely employ someone whose job is making and maintaining these pots.

The same as some of the (not so large) mountains of spare gear that the smaller boats have.

Regards.

Edited by challenge

oh if only it was that simple, you carrot cruncher you LOL and heres me thinking you were a good old Essex boy.

The trouble being a boffin as you put it (is that a form of racism - maybe its being scientist or a case of scientism) is that you know its probably the case but need the proof, not only that but you need to be able to explain it fully, and with all climate driven events a long term dataset or pattern is essential. There are significant links to climate, but there are one or two other factors involved which may contribute to the successful recruitment of particular species to a greater extent, climate may just be an initial driver.

The warmer climate as the major link doesn't explain the abundance and presence of those species during the pre-climate change days (1800's Silver pits - sole fishery etc.) .

Doc.

Hello Doc

Quote From

The Development of the Hull Trawling Trade In The Sailing Era see attachment

The Silver Pits

The discovery of the Silver Pits is often considered to be another major reason why the trawling trade moved to the River Humber. However, there has been considerable uncertainty about when they were actually discovered. They were probably first located by William Sudds in 1837 and it seems clear that large-scale exploitation by smacks working from Hull began in the winter of 1844/5 when up to 18,000 pairs of sole were sent inland by rail on one day alone. These grounds always yield their best catches in severely cold winters when soles congregate in deep waters and this was not only a harsh winter but a time when smack activity out of Hull was on the increase.

No matter how you look at it you always end up with tempreature ( pahaps not climate) being the main driver, every thing revolves around tempreature.

Your statment "during the pre-climate change days" suprised me. Was there ever such a time when the climate was that stable for any amount of time?

this is a extract fom a paper I found.

7.5 Is the climate stable?

We have now examined temperature variations over the last 100 million years, in more details over the last 800 thousand years or so (from ice core records) and in considerbale detail over the last 1000 years. From this, can we say whether the climate has been 'stable'? What do we mean by 'stable'? It is not good enough to define stable as meaning that the climate changes slowly - what does slowly mean? The best definition of stable is probably that the response of the climate is in proportion (and in the same direction) as the forcing. For example, the solar forcing on the climate varies typical with timescales of 21, 41, and 100 kyrs (see Lecture 6 and these variations are apparent in the observed temperature record. Recent data from the Greenland ice core reveals, however, that the temperature can change on timescale much shorter than a few thousand (or even a few hundred) years. Figure 7.8 shows the Greenland ice core record at much higher resolution than in Lecture 6. It reveals that the climate has indeed been rather stable for the last 8000 years or so. However, in the last glacial period the temperature (revealed by the 18O abundance in the ice) has changed much more rapidly than can be explained by solar variations. Given that a change in 18 O of 5 parts per thousand is equivalent to about a 7 degree change in temperature, it is apparent that the temperature has changed at times by as much as 8 degrees in less than 100 years.

Trawling_1_.doc

oh if only it was that simple, you carrot cruncher you LOL and heres me thinking you were a good old Essex boy.

The trouble being a boffin as you put it (is that a form of racism - maybe its being scientist or a case of scientism) is that you know its probably the case but need the proof, not only that but you need to be able to explain it fully, and with all climate driven events a long term dataset or pattern is essential. There are significant links to climate, but there are one or two other factors involved which may contribute to the successful recruitment of particular species to a greater extent, climate may just be an initial driver.

The warmer climate as the major link doesn't explain the abundance and presence of those species during the pre-climate change days (1800's Silver pits - sole fishery etc.) .

Doc.

Hello Doc

Quote From

The Development of the Hull Trawling Trade In The Sailing Era see attachment

The Silver Pits

The discovery of the Silver Pits is often considered to be another major reason why the trawling trade moved to the River Humber. However, there has been considerable uncertainty about when they were actually discovered. They were probably first located by William Sudds in 1837 and it seems clear that large-scale exploitation by smacks working from Hull began in the winter of 1844/5 when up to 18,000 pairs of sole were sent inland by rail on one day alone. These grounds always yield their best catches in severely cold winters when soles congregate in deep waters and this was not only a harsh winter but a time when smack activity out of Hull was on the increase.

No matter how you look at it you always end up with tempreature ( pahaps not climate) being the main driver, every thing revolves around tempreature.

Your statment "during the pre-climate change days" suprised me. Was there ever such a time when the climate was that stable for any amount of time?

this is a extract fom a paper I found.

7.5 Is the climate stable?

We have now examined temperature variations over the last 100 million years, in more details over the last 800 thousand years or so (from ice core records) and in considerbale detail over the last 1000 years. From this, can we say whether the climate has been 'stable'? What do we mean by 'stable'? It is not good enough to define stable as meaning that the climate changes slowly - what does slowly mean? The best definition of stable is probably that the response of the climate is in proportion (and in the same direction) as the forcing. For example, the solar forcing on the climate varies typical with timescales of 21, 41, and 100 kyrs (see Lecture 6 and these variations are apparent in the observed temperature record. Recent data from the Greenland ice core reveals, however, that the temperature can change on timescale much shorter than a few thousand (or even a few hundred) years. Figure 7.8 shows the Greenland ice core record at much higher resolution than in Lecture 6. It reveals that the climate has indeed been rather stable for the last 8000 years or so. However, in the last glacial period the temperature (revealed by the 18O abundance in the ice) has changed much more rapidly than can be explained by solar variations. Given that a change in 18 O of 5 parts per thousand is equivalent to about a 7 degree change in temperature, it is apparent that the temperature has changed at times by as much as 8 degrees in less than 100 years.

I fish to live and live to fish.