Testing new Baits?

will this name be ok

Hi peeps

I was wondering how you test your new bait concoctions to see if they work or not. Please don't reply with the obvious "you fish with it" I was wondering if there are any other things you take into consideration.

some things came to mind and don't know if they apply or not but i don't get to go fishing loads like some so it might just be a bad day regardless of bait used.

1: fish a water with plenty of fish in it.

2: fish a regular bait with exact same setup to compare against.

3:ok i've only got 2

look forward to some replies i hope

Richard

You've just about answered your own question there WTNBO :) I go to a venue where I'm almost guaranteed to catch, and start off with my regular bait before changing to the new one and seeing if the bites increase/decrease/die off completely. If it's the latter two, I'll change back to the regular bait and see if the fishing picks up again. The only time I've put out two rods to compare baits is when carping.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I tend to stick with tried-and-trusted baits anyway, maggots, worms etc. With the exception of dog biccies, bread, luncheon meat/pepperami I very seldom fish with things I find in the cupboard. Cat or dog meat (tinned that is, I don't mean chunks of cat or dog :rolleyes:;) ) is supposed to be a good bait for carp and a few other species but I've never really tried it.

Perhaps others on here could give you a few tips on things to try (I'm surprised no-one else has posted on this thread to be honest, they're usually a really helpful bunch on here :unsure: ).

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

WTNBO, if you look through this week's Angling Times, they have an article on 'household' baits - not exactly groundbaits but certainly food for thought.... :headhurt:

John S

I have ground vitalin dog food up in a food processor to use as a groundbait base before, sticks together well, think you could use as a method mix if mixed with hot/warm water, flavours ok too. Had a nice carp the day i used it but that could have been coincidence.

Bob

I tend to find you can turn fish onto almost anything new, if you give them a couple of weeks of groundbaiting, with the new bait added to the mix. I've turned fish onto some really bizarre baits that wouldn't have worked if I simply stuck some onto the hook, in the hope that the fish will tune into it immediately. Fish often need a little time to learn that this new substance is food.

I turned the roach at my local ressie onto tinned carrot. It didn't get so much as a sniff when I tried it on a whim one day but I was fairly certain that it was simply a case of 'teaching' them to eat it. I decided to keep adding some to my groundbait mix for a few weeks, without actually fishing for them. When it actually came round to putting the stuff on the hook, they had 'tuned' into it and it became a favourite for a good while afterwards.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...