Beach Fishing

blankety blank

Me And my mate are from oxford and fancy havin a crack at beach fishing, we would like to know the best place to go near to our area, and whats the best bait to use, we would also like to know if our carp rods would be any good for light beach fishing, any help would be very helpfull. :D

Or you could have a bash at pier fishing?

Carp gear would certainly manage the size of fish that we fish off the beaches. But apart from bass and mullet or flattie fishing, I think you might need something sturdier. Not to land the fish, but to throw a 6-8oz weight out!

But mackeral and gar fishing with a toby or small dexter wedge on carp gear is great sport.

The trouble starts when you have to hold bottom to fish.

And then again you have to religiously wash all your gear as soon as you get home. Salt water corrosion can start within a day or two, and is irreversible!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

You wanna pop down to bournemouth and go on the pier, probably the easiest bit of coast to get to from you.

Carp gear will be fine, fishing from the pier is a couple of quid and well worth it. I've seen people catching allsorts from the pier including skate, smoothound and good bass.

I've been down there a few times. In summer you can see big shoals of mullet under the pier and in the evening there is nothing like 6 mackeral a cast on a carp rod and feathers.

As for bait i normally just pop in a tackle shop on the way down and buy some ragworm.

Bretty

[ 19. May 2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Bretty ]

Theres a number of places around the Essex coast where carp rods are ideal for bass fishing. Shoebury, you can park up right on the beach and fish for them with very light tackle as there is a very light flow of water. you can also dig blow lug there at low water. Use size 2 carp hooks of a near circle pattern on a short snood, thats what I use there and they work like nothing else I've tried. A 3oz lead is ok and a cast of up to 100yds will find them. Mersea Island is similar with a good head of summer bass . You'll have to return most as undersize but keepers are frequent enough to make it worthwhile.

You could always try Brighton marina on a sunday?

Drive down the M40 and park at my place. I`d then drive us all down to Brighton, big fried breakfast followed by a days fishing?

I don`t offer this to everyone. Just fed up with mowing the lawn? LOL

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!