Prototype homemade lightweight spinnerbaits

Andy Macfarlane

Try putting the muppet on arse about face, more durable than the more usual skirt and, seemingly, work just as well.

Peter thanks for that,some times my lack of vision even amazes me! Another good source of skirts are the kids rubber "hairy" balls! lots of fine rubber filliments and in fluro colours.post-142-1157446966.gif

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try putting the muppet on arse about face, more durable than the more usual skirt and, seemingly, work just as well.

I see what you mean. I'll have a tinker and see what I can come up with.

Andy for £20 or so you can get enough components to make up a lifetimes supply of them.As youve found out they are dead simple to make.One thing I would say is ditch the muppet your using as a skirt and get some proper ones.They open up when mounted in reverse and give a much better illusion of life than a muppet.I tried muppets first too!

Heres a link to an article I did some years ago but it has some usefull links to get the bits from-

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.a...v=1&UAN=949

Cheers Budgie but I've already got all the bits and pieces for making spinners etc.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

...in fluro colours.post-142-1157446966.gif

Which might be useful if you target species can see flourescent colours, but then again might not.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/science/ross_color.aspx

http://www.seatroutfishing.dk/klummen/Fish_vision.htm

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks for the links Cory they were well interesting.

Fish vision (or lack of it in some species) is something I am boning up on at the moment. Don't asume that fish see the world the way you do. Fish vision is a diverse and interesting subject.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I have no doubt that fish see things different to us the fact that all that they see is via light transmited through water obviously affects this.I know from my diving days that colour especialy changes drasticly at different depths.Basicly after a certain depth (dependant on clarity) the only light that penetrates makes everything apear a shade of blue.But it is still discernable as being different.I say this as I think that allthough a fishs perception of colour is different to ours they must still see a diference.After all if they couldnt then they would not be able to see full stop!

Just because one colour is percieved different to the human and fish eye doesnt mean that they have no preference.

One colour which trout find very attractive ( or maybe can just see well?) is fluro lime green.Why I dont know but they do so knowing that is all I need to use it to my advantage.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have no doubt that fish see things different to us the fact that all that they see is via light transmited through water obviously affects this.I know from my diving days that colour especialy changes drasticly at different depths.Basicly after a certain depth (dependant on clarity) the only light that penetrates makes everything apear a shade of blue.But it is still discernable as being different.I say this as I think that allthough a fishs perception of colour is different to ours they must still see a diference.After all if they couldnt then they would not be able to see full stop!

Just because one colour is percieved different to the human and fish eye doesnt mean that they have no preference.

One colour which trout find very attractive ( or maybe can just see well?) is fluro lime green.Why I dont know but they do so knowing that is all I need to use it to my advantage.

It is not just depth that is important. A trout will see different colours in a fly that is close to him than the same fly a bit further away. Most fish have trichromatic vision (colour vision) just like us although the colour spectrum is different. Some fish have got tetrachromatic vision. They can see hues of colours we cannot. Some researchers think that some fish have pentachromatic vision like some birds. If they do the will be able to see colours we cannot.

http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Arts/Bre...s/UV/Light.html

This link is an advert but the picture is a good example. On the right is a Mynah Bird, on the left the same mynah as it would look to another mynah

Edited by corydoras

andy made one of these infront of me and i tell ya they look even better in person and im itchin to try it but ive been too busy :( he also made a cool alteration to one of my shads which i broke the hook on trying to bend heres the pics. the multi colored blade attracted a lot of pike when i made my own pedunkle spinner

Image1_j.jpg

Image2_j.jpg

ill be buying them cause i know andys home mades work a treat.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Some more efforts.... :)

HomemadeSpinnerbaits.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

andy made one of these infront of me and i tell ya they look even better in person and im itchin to try it but ive been too busy :( he also made a cool alteration to one of my shads which i broke the hook on trying to bend heres the pics. the multi colored blade attracted a lot of pike when i made my own pedunkle spinner

ill be buying them cause i know andys home mades work a treat.

I don't know whether or not they will atract fish, but they sure will catch anglers ;).

How is the underwater camera coming on btw?