small codling shock

darlick

At the momment there is a large amount of small codling off whitby and R H Bay, which is great to see.they are from five inch upward the legal landing size is 35cm.

Today a man rang me and asked me if i would fillet some fish for him.yes no problem i said bring them round,when he arrived i was shocked to see a bag of a dozen very small codling which were caught off whitby all of which were well under size.

this man didnt have a clue about sizes of fish.any way he does now,also told him he was lucky he never got checked by fisheries.sad to see do hope there are not to many people like that man out there :(

hi darlick ive often thought ,,if shops that sold tackle /bait ect handed out a small fact sheet with basic guide lines for the novice , like min sizes ect ,,,with every purchace ,,, it might help to stop things like this and would cost pence ,,,,,,,the cure is mostly in the prevention,,,,,,,cheers ,,,,,,,,,lucky rich ,,,,,,,,

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

hi darlick ive often thought ,,if shops that sold tackle /bait ect handed out a small fact sheet with basic guide lines for the novice , like min sizes ect ,,,with every purchace ,,, it might help to stop things like this and would cost pence ,,,,,,,the cure is mostly in the prevention,,,,,,,cheers ,,,,,,,,,lucky rich ,,,,,,,,

Thats all it would take.its not the poor fellas fault he came to Whitby went fishing was happy because him and his son caught a few fish if he had known there was a size limit on fish he would have returned the fish a small fish for somone who has not fished is a good fish.so like you say prevention would be a good thing even just a chart on the tackle shop door of all the fish sizes,fact sheet even better, :thumbs: