where do mullut migrate in winter

samuel-cox

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stavey:

jim, i presume these catches are made by the commercials? and why? they cant get much wonger for them, a disgusting waste.

If you call a couple of chaps in a 14ft pot boat, who might catch mullet about twice year, a commercial, yes!

As for 'waste', go and tell the people in Southall Market.

[ 10. January 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

as a waste, to eat i would say the mullet is worth much more for angling finacialy, it is a waste of resources to eat it. as for the couple of chaps in a 14ft pot boat, they need to contribute to the economy properly and get a proper job. im sick of paying taxes and watching these guys take the p**s.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Well, we've got a more moderate view of the Alderney mullet fishing now - we've gone from Toerag's multiple double-figure fish" to Caleb's

"odd 10lber each year."

Still fantastic, though!

Any chance, please, of a more detailed breakdown of specific locations, most likely periods (as per dates) and most suitable tides? It's a long while since I've been tempted to fish "abroad", but talk of these big Alderney mullet have got my juices flowing!

stavey:

as a waste, to eat i would say the mullet is worth much more for angling finacialy, it is a waste of resources to eat it. as for the couple of chaps in a 14ft pot boat, they need to contribute to the economy properly and get a proper job. im sick of paying taxes and watching these guys take the p**s.

Are mullet in decline?

Pot-boats are used for 'potting' most of the year, strange as it may seem.

Your boat has to be registered to be able to sell fish, as far as I know. Not much chance of getting away with much in this computer age!

A neighbour of mine once said to me. "I look at you working and think to myself 'What a waste. He should be doing some sort of sport'".

He was a civil servant who had been a conscientious objector in WW2 but had been prepared to spend the whole of his employed life working in the local MoD Underwater Weapons Establishment. Some people have mixed standards!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Gibbinson:

Well, we've got a more moderate view of the Alderney mullet fishing now - we've gone from Toerag's multiple double-figure fish" to Caleb's

"odd 10lber each year."

Still fantastic, though!

Any chance, please, of a more detailed breakdown of specific locations, most likely periods (as per dates) and most suitable tides? It's a long while since I've been tempted to fish "abroad", but talk of these big Alderney mullet have got my juices flowing!

This past week there have been at least 2 over 10 pulled out. It's only in the past couple of seasons that people have targetted them by fishing on the bottom, so Caleb is right too. www.alderneyangling.com has most of the info, check out the gallery for the evidence.

As to more specific info, they can turn up any time between xmas and march, and the tides don't really seem to matter. As there is plenty of accomodation & flights to alderney just phone the guy in the tackle shop and book for the next day. Although there's always somewhere to fish on Alderney it does get pretty miserable in winter. You can get them on the float, but the big ones seem to come at night on the bottom. Most use standard beach gear due to the possibility of other heavier species, but there's no reason why carp/bass gear can't be used. I think moonless nights are preferred.

[ 11. January 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest sslatter

This website gallery you point to.. pics of dead fish.. a very fine 9lb 13oz DEAD mullet. A superb old specimen fish that has been killed. Why was it killed and taken home for a photo? Why do some anglers feel the need to do this? Don't they know how long it takes a mullet to reach this size?

[ 11. January 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

just looked at the Alderney web sit. Does any one know if these fish are dead, or were they returened alive? There is no excuse to kill these fish, they tast like crap for a start and fight like hell on light gear.

This would not be good PR for the site if the fish are dead.