where do mullut migrate in winter

samuel-cox

Hi Everyone,

At last I have found my home, this has to be best sea fishing site of all. Been at it for nearly 58yrs now started when I was about four fishing for minnows with my youngest unlce on the Doset Stour at Wick Ferry.Coming up to 62 this year, still fit but over weight with a full head of hair and only a few greys showing. This is all thanks to the wonderful art of fishing, even debating it is relaxing. And every day I learn something new and every week I by buy a new gismo. I just love it. :D

(I hope this works, I am sure I will screw this posting up)

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Jim Gibbinson:

Serious question: is there a boat service to Alderney? I ask this because I'm seriously considering a trip there, but I refuse to fly (no deep, significant reason - just scared!)

I go to gurnsey 3 times a year (fantastic fishing)on the condor ferry from there its easy to get to alderney mate contact condor at weymouth or poole :cool:

Ken

Heavy metals and fish . . does depend on where the fish resides. But in general the slower the growth the higher the risk.

Oh, still think we should swop the Isle of Sheppy for ALderney !!

Andrew Boyd

Mullet do not tast any where near as good as bass. They have similer looking flesh although bass fesh looks cleaner and tasts cleaner.

Best left for sport.

I sold mullet when I worked on a netting boat, we got 50 pence per pound. The biggest mullet I ever saw in our nets was 10lb pounds. That fish was werth 5 quid dead.

An interesting side issue from this discussion concerns the fact that many of these big winter mullet from Alderney are caught at night. I've tried very little night fishing for mullet (what little I have tried, has been unsuccessful, although a friend caught one an hour or two into darkness). I've had a couple of fish at dusk, but have never really thought in terms of mullet being night feeders. Des Brennan in "Mullet" (Osprey Anglers series, 1975) writes that mullet kept in captivity become inactive after dark.

Are these winter Alderney mullet behaving untypically for the species, or is night feeding a more common occurrence that most of us realise?

I think its a case of time and place as with any other fishing.

Any good angler will bild up nollege of markes that fish well at a certain time and certain state of tide. One would need to stop fishing for mullet in day light, and concerntrate on targeting them at night. Then I feel the angler would lern new times, methods, states of tide ect. But as mulleting in daylight is faily easy there probably is little to be gained.

One my local estuaries with a little time put in you can quite easely catch quite large mullet in day light, my troble is I get diverted by the bass fishing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Shouldnt that be try the Crouch Jim!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

try there at night with fly gear with floating line and wet fly patterns size 12 or smaller fished with i think its called the new zealand dropper style, ive been told it works in the channel isles so cant see why it wont work in them estuarys oh and very important no retrieve, im going to give it a realy good go this year on my rivers,one last thing you need a proper fly reel, one with a proper disc drag like a system two or similar because when they hit they hit hard and cheap reels cant cope.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly